Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain after L5S1 Discectomy

Hi All, first time to this forum so thank you in advance for any help. 

I am 3 weeks out from an L5S1 Disectomy. I have been doing as the doctored ordered regarding recovery, in bed with 15 mins walks and instructed stretched every 2 hours.

My question is regarding expected pain/symptoms post surgery and would like the view of others who have experienced the same surgery.

The pain pre op was presenting down right leg and immediately post op all that pain was gone. I am now having regular pain/strange sensations down this leg (hot cold tingling feeling down to toes).

Just want to know if this is a normal part of the recovery process? I am so worried about re herniated my disc.

Also, in your experiences, how mobile should I/can I be at this point? I am making all efforts to not bend my  back and squatting with back straight if I need to ‘bend down’ (pick something from floor etc).

Sorry if this seems a bit OTT asking these questions, just want to make sure that what I am experiencing is normal.

As a side note, my pain starting presenting 18 months pre op.

Thank you all in advance.

advertisement

Comments

• anujsingh0002aanujsingh0002 Posts: 3
    edited 03/16/2018 - 7:53 AM

I am close to 4 weeks from my microdiscectomy at 2 levels. I resumed my work (desk job for now) a week after my surgery and walk around 3 kms every evening as it increases blood flow to discs and help them heal faster. 

I too have been feeling strange sensation/numbness in my affected leg after the surgery but my surgeon said that this numbness is because the nerve root gets irritated during the surgery and can take 5-6 months to get back to normal. I am worried about this wierd sensation too but there's nothing much I can do about it right now. I sometimes don't even feel the cold floor under my foot but I don't have an issue walking in this condition so far.

And regarding picking stuff from floor, I ordered a grabber from Amazon and it works great. Give it a try.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

Hello pete1985
    Welcome to Spine-Health

The feelings you are getting are, as stated above, from nerves waking up. You also have to consider how long and how bad they were compressed before surgery, and now they are trying to work again. And that's what you want. 
    No BLT, bending, lifting, twisting. And yes, get a grabber, they are awesome.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Thank you both for the responses, this makes me feel better. 

I will definitely get a grabber as squating to pick things up is not ideal!