Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

HELP! Really bad pain in hips (6 weeks post-op scoliosis surgery)

Hi there, I recently discovered this site and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice & support. 

I started getting this horrible throbbing, shooting pain in both my hips... it started a few weeks after my operation for idiopathic scoliosis and it got much much worse. It hurts more in my right hip... that's the opposite side to where my spine curved (left)

Symptoms: Throbbing pain & Shooting pain 

I am on the usual codeine (x1 day) and gabapentine  (2x day).

But they don't seem to help with the hip poison at all sadly...  :-(

It feels like the pain gets worse each day and I feel the pain everytime I move or turn or get up or reach for something thus bending slightly...

At my 6 week post op the consultant said this pain is because my shoulders are now straight and my hips and rib cage isn't.  He said he was sorry about this and would get me an appointment to physiotherapy.

Has anyone experienced this? 

What did you do? What did you do to help manage or alleviate the pain in the mean time? What treatment did you do?

Please! I am despeate !!!! I can't cope with this pain! Any suggestions welcome...

advertisement

Comments

• No one in my family understands nor knows what I'm going through obviously because they have not gone through it thankfully.

The pain seems to get worse at different times, it hurts when I sit, lie down, turn, stand up ... basically all the time!

I'm six weeks out and I am feeling mostly normal everywhere else except my darn right hip mainly and sometimes my left... whichever way I sleep the pain is anyways the same!!! My right hip hurts the most... It' not something that I can find and touch to identify where it is.  You can visibly see that my right hip is sticking out in a way... I don't really care for how i look at this point but i know I will I  the near future which makes me even more determined to get better ASAP...

For me heat pads have now started helping... I started using it a day or two ago.  So true about the numb parts... I still have some numb parts on my back so have to be careful.  I see other people who were also with me I  hospital and they are 100% back to normal and happy and i thought I was too until my blasted hip pain  :-(

I feel like my hips are sticking out and swollen... it hurts all the time.  Believe it or not I can't even wipe myself like i used to and now when I turn my hips hurt! 

I briefly spoke to my doctor about the pain and he just brushed it off saying it was because of the operation and that the hip pain was normal!! I was like no!! Not this pain!!!

The pain in my hip feels like a shooting aching hip... more like shooting pain though! If in walking and I turn or anything else then I have to yelp in pain because it's a shooting pain but one that stays there but then i turn or get up or anything else it comes back.  It's like the shooting pain is always there but only affects me when I move which is obviously all the time! 

• Please please please tell me this hip pain will go...!!??????

That I will return back to normal?

That I don't live my whole life in pain whenever I breathe or move a muscle ..????

Please!???

What can I do in the meantime to ease the pain? Dihydrocodeine does nothing for the hip pain at all!!! How do I make the pain Go?!!!

My doctor says it's normal and there is nothing he or I can do ...!!????? 

Please I can't take this horrible pain every second of every hour of every day!

I keep thinking I will be in this pain forever! Going to college will prove difficult as I can't even turn without wincing in pain! Is there nothing else that can alleviate the pain ???

I physically cannot handle this pain. I think because I was on the dihydrocodeine I couldn't feel the pain but now that I am being weaned off them by my doctor I am in constant pain. A hot water bottle alleviated the pain as long as it remains hot so about an hour or so...

I can't do this!!! I thought I was getting better! When I came back from hospital I rested and then walked and stretched and felt a whole lot better now it's the opposite ! I am constantly wincing and am in pain from the slightest touch! 

Is there nothing else that can help?

Will Physical therapy take the pain away over time?

Will I go back to normal?????????

• advertisement
  • @L4_L5

I did not know that you couldn't make duplicate posts and therefore my other posts were deleted. Could you kindly repeat what you had said about water therapy please ....?

Also, because I cannot make duplicate posts how do I get more people to read my post and help me just like you did by reading the other post ???

Thanks ever so much !

• @WLLady

I'm so sorry I didn't know you couldn't make duplicate posts and so the moderators removed my original post/thread with all the information and advice you gave :-(

Is there no way you could 're send me all of that or... summarise everything after reading the above posts again  PLEASE PLEASE ...?

• Hi AH2612:

First of all, I am sorry to hear about this terrible pain you are having and please try not to be too desperate. I know it's hard and six weeks out is not very far. Did you only have the thoracic area fused? Do the Docs expect the hip and ribcage to realign? I know we all have different experiences but I have had pretty severe hip pain also. My pain has moved around throughout my recovery. I'm at eight months with a T3-pelvic fusion. I am much older than you (54) but assume that we all have pains that result from our muscles, ligaments, fascia all of it..having to figure out how to be in a new spot. PT is great help. My PT recently tried cupping which helped bring blood to the surface and got the fascia a bit unstuck. I recently had a myofascial massage that also helped with various pains. I don't think you can do a massage at six weeks, but ask your Dr. I always hear young people heal faster. If the pain keeps up I would ask them for an xray or MRI just to ease your mind. Again, I feel for you and hope you find some relief soon.

Noreen

• advertisement
  • I suggested trying water therapy if your doctor is ok with it.

Always best just to create one post on any given particular topic. 

I read @WLLady post but didn’t save it. 

It had a wealth of information.

I’m sorry you lost that in the purge.  :/

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,440

yeah i don't even see my post in the copy of my comments in my user section. sorry. 

PT.  massage therapy-but ONLY on the advice of your doctor on BOTH those!!!!  and talking with your doctor about pain control.

And sleeping-try putting a body pillow (or rolled up blanket) behind your back, laying on your side snugged up to the blanket and then rolling BACK so that the body pillow is supporting your back and you are laying just BEHIND your hip bone.  i found that helped me a lot. i also found that not squatting-use a reacher/grabber, and do not squat deeply...and then once you are able to start physio really strengthening the hip muscles and butt muscles.....that really really helped to realign things for me, along with gentle heat (gently!  especially if you are still numb in places, not too hot).  Water - swimming once you are allowed to immerse in water-again your doctor can tell you if you are ready for that.  and walking slowly....not fast walking-strolling....for not too long at a time, but keep moving. 

i'll try to revisit and put down the rest as i remember it-it was a long post....my brain ain't what it used to be especially monday morning.

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• @WLLady

Thank you so much for writing and summarising everything again for me... Its much appreciated!

I will consult My doctor about and on everything don't worry! Thanks

I tried sleeping on my body pillow with a heated water bottle (warm only not too hot) under me and it really helped so thank you! 

Thank you for all the suggestions I will definitely ask my doctor

Thanks!

• @L4_L5

Thank you for the suggestions!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,298

One way NOT to get more people to read your post and information is by making duplicate posts.  Liz gave you a detailed explanation about why that is true.

The best way to get people to read and respond to your comments is to keep them concise, use paragraph breaks, do not use short IPHone talk  (omg , cya, etc), avoid using ASAP, Immediate etc.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement