Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Applying for disability with scoliosis & fibromyalgia

Hi! Im 25 and have 3 kids, with severe c shape 90 degree angle scoliosis and fibromyalgia. I applied for disability Last night and I'm wondering what I need to send in to help my case. I can't sit or stand for longer than 5 minutes at a time, I'm having issues sleeping and staying still because of it. I have a degree but I can't use it because my pain causes me to focus on the pain rather than my studies. I had spinal surgery in 2005, i have 3 metal rods in my back but it surely didnt help the pain. What can I do to help my case?

advertisement

Comments

• Help please

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493

This would be a question better suited to your general doctor......a lot of us are from all over different countries in the world, and the process is very different depending on where you live. sorry i cannot help, but i'm sure your doctor can....

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • ac9206

if in the usa, I just went to ss office and they help you with everything, they contact all doctors you ever saw and look at all x rays, ct , mri or anything you had done. they will take you step by step throught the whole thing. after they saw all my test, the next is interview with the doctor, the doc stamped my case approved based on medical reports and I did not even have to go back in, it took about 5 months. so start with applying, they will help you.

• @xrobynx do they ask for a referral from your regular doctor? im so nervous about that because im so young she doesnt want to see me being on disability, but ive tried everything and its just not logical to get a job and keep it. I have 3 kids at home, i need income :(

• Hi, Ashley. I have a lot of knowledge about disability-the application process, the different factors they consider, what can be used against you or for you, etc...I would love to talk this through with you! 

First, to summarize, you are 25 and college-educated with three small children and no job. You have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and scoliosis. You mentioned being unable to work because “the pain would distract you” but your doctor wants you to work and doesn’t support you seeking disability. Your physical limitations include “not being able to sit or stand for more than 5 minutes at a time, sleeping issues, and not being able to sit still.” You didn’t describe what treatments you’ve tried to address your pain except for a passing reference to “three metal rods” in your back. Is this all correct?

I have a few questions before I can share what you’ll likely hear from disability: 

When were you diagnosed with fibromyalgia and scoliosis?

What treatments have you done in the past to treat your scoliosis and fibromyalgia? What are you currently doing to treat these conditions?

You mentioned your doctor wants you to work and doesn’t support you being on disability. Why does he/she think that? What reasons have they given? What suggestions have they made for your care?

You have three small children. Do you take care of them and the household by yourself?

What’s your degree in?

You don’t currently have a job; have you had a job in the past? What’s your work history?

Once I know this info I can tell you (from my experience) what you’ll likely experience applying for disability.

• advertisement
  • L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,469
    edited 06/03/2018 - 2:23 PM

Do you have an associates degree or a bachelors degree?

I’m no expert but based on your age and education I would guess you’d have to put up a pretty good (and long) fight to get approved.

If you were 45 or older and had a grueling physical job with no college degree, and low (or no) earnings, that would be a totally different story. 

The administration would probably write in their opinion something like “applicant underwent spinal surgery in 2005, at the age of 12 or 13. Despite this applicant was successfully able to complete university with a bachelors degree.”

They’ll probably want evidence of what your condition was like in 2013 or so compared to what it is today.

When you see those disability commercials on TV those TV lawyers are looking for the “easy” cases (people who are below SGA and expected to be below SGA for years to come and/or who have little to no education and little to no income).

If you have an associates degree rather than a bachelors your odds would probably be somewhat better, although I’m assuming you have a bachelors.

The only people I know who have been approved at your age are people who are diagnosed as bipolar or schizophrenic, and who are hospitalized frequently, due to their conditions.

Please keep us posted and please see the post directly above mine.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562

At your age (25) I might think the best way for you to try this route is get yourself a disability lawyer.    People with a list of more spinal problems than you have and are 40+ in years still have problems getting approved.    

One thing I do know, each state is so different.  Here in CT, I couldnt get half way through an approval, nor do I want one, but if I had 1/10th of the problem I do have and lived in South Carolina   Id  be on full disability.

Someone told me that is a web site that lists the states that are the easiest to get disability to those that are virtually impossible.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • hi I applied before my surgrey but I was like 56. it was easy, I made an aptiment and we did it over the phone. I gave them all the places I had been treated, names of all the doctors civial and military and they did the rest..they do full investigation. then if the doctor from ss wants to interview you he sets that up at there expense. after reviewing my x-rays, mris and ct scans he did not want to see me and in 5 months I was told I had been approved. so, just go apply and give then the loctions of all your teast and all the places you have been treated for this. good luck, I hope it helps

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,469
    edited 06/04/2018 - 6:49 PM

I agree with Ron that at your very youthful current age an attorney is likely essentially a necessity if you’re to make any headway.

Also an attorney can review all pertinent details surrounding your history and give you an idea whether this Avenue will prove fruitful. 

As Ron points out the laws vary greatly state to state. As I stated above, the only folks I know who have been approved who are your age are people with bipolar or schizophrenia. 

And usually they don’t even need a lawyer. The reason for this is because many have so many hospitalizations (oftentimes in only a 12-24 month timeframe) that it’s fully apparent they wouldn’t thrive (or even survive) in the workforce for any meaningful length of time. 

Many also have only a high school education. And some have not completed high school.

Your situation is quite different given a medical versus psychiatric condition and your level of education.

advertisement