Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Just curious

I was wondering if anyone could let me know...last month my mother passed away and my hubby and I had to leave the country for a couple of weeks..he's prescribed pain meds due to chronic pain..I went and picked up his script and paid cash to have it filled..we just came back but we are traveling to Texas to visit family and he needs his meds again but will be a lil early..he does have insurance that covers his script 100%..my question is will I be able to fill it early thru his insurance if he paid cash last month and not have an issue..

advertisement

Comments

• sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 739
    edited 04/19/2018 - 5:44 AM

Did you contact his doctor about your mother's death and now about your travel plans? 

Paying cash does not avoid the PMP ( prescription monitoring programs) in most states. You may have some issues with either the pharmacy or doctor filling the prescription early twice and not using your insurance.

• I haven't done a refill to early in a couple of years, but when going through my insurance...

my Walgreen's won't fill a Schedule 2 Rx earlier than 30 days without my doctor letting them know it's okay...then I had to call my insurance company (Aetna) to get a "vacation override" since it was going to be more than a couple of days...and had no problem...my insurance will fill a couple of days early with no problem but longer than that they have to do a pharmacy override   

• advertisement
  • I don't go alot of places so it isn't often that I need one either.  When I had a family emergency that I had to travel for at the beginning of the year, I had no idea when I would be able to get back.  I had meds due within a few days and another script not due for two weeks.  I called the PM office and explained the situation and they got me right in since I needed to leave as soon as I could.  I truly was not sure they could help me at all and was kinda expecting to hear that.  Years ago, I could have taken my script with a do not fill date on it and filled it at a Walgreens wherever I was going but we all know that doesn't happen anymore.  Anyway, the PA had no problem filling the one two weeks early and I can't tell you how appreciative I was.  One less thing I had to worry about.  I was afraid the pharmacy might have an issue with it but they called my insurance and filled it for me  It is nice to know that in a true emergency it is possible to get them quite early.  You just never know when you have adult children and aging parents like I do and they are all living in different states. 

So as long as his Doctor and pharmacy agree it is OK to fill, and since you did not use insurance last time, the insurance should pay because they simply look at the last date they had to pay for a refill.  I am really surprised that you were able to fill without using your insurance.  Here, is they know you have it they will not allow you to pay cash.

Best of luck to you and hope your trip goes well.

Cindy

• I had an issue last month with having to fill my script early..I lost a patch down the drain while showering.   I called the doctor's office right away.  They were able to note on my new script one patch had been unusable due to damage/loss  and it was filled without a problem.   However pharmacis have to keep a record of when picked up etc.  Too many early fills can get you flagged as a possible risk as these drugs are extremely easy to sell (not that you would) but it's no fun to be under flagged... just be careful to not abuse your meds by taking them early or more than recommended.  You can end up in trouble with both doc and insurance plus pharmacy.  

• I totally agree that filling scripts early should only be on an emergency basis.  Family emergency and losing a patch in the shower definitely fall into that category.  My Doctor fills our scripts on day 28 which helps me due to the fact I have vomiting issues so I have a couple of Long Acting pills if I need them.  I think as long as you only fill early when it is 100% necessary it should be no problem. 

Always have your Doctor notate in your file what the situation is as well as the pharmacy.  I even called my insurance and had them notate it as well.  That way if questioned down the road, everyone is on the same page. 

Cindy

• advertisement
advertisement