Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2nd week post op

I am currently in 2nd week post-op of a T3-L3 spinal correction. On my 1st and 2nd day before my discharge I had pain over going my pain meds (having Morphine Oxicotten) they haven't changed any pain from when I had them. Now I'm on Tylenol when ever I need them. But being second week post-op I have been having some new things, like: pins and needles in my thigh,  light-headedness when ever I walk in a store or tight upper rib pain where my heart is. The more I tend to exersize the more the iconic pain gets. Even when I'm on a Tylenol. 

Also, by any chance, can I sleep on my stomach? I'm a stomach sleeper and I haven't slept on their for about 2-3 weeks.

advertisement

Comments

• right after surgery for the first few weeks there will be all sorts of strange feelings, pins and neddles, little zaps and muscles tightness.your mucles were all moved, some were streached more then there use to and now they can't move because of the fussion and the back brace for protection till your fussed. to be off hard core pain meds at two weeks wow, that's good. but now things are starting to wake up. for me they woke up angrey and it got painful. also so many strange feeling I thought I was in someone elses body at times. the light headness needs to be talk about with your doctor, along with the upper rib pain. some rib pain is normal, I still have that, but because yours is so close to your heart, along with lightheadedness, plz make a call to your doctor just to play it safe. grats on making 2 weeks. the worst of the pain should be behind you now and you should start to see progress. take it slow, don't puss it was a big surgery and you must be patient with yourself while you heal. I am not sure about sleeping on your belly. I might wait till your fussed, when you call your doc about light headedness ask, but that dose tend to put pressure on the spine and cause you to arch backwards which your body can't do now.  at two week for me there was too much pain to even try belly sleep and I still haven't tried at 16 months post..lol

good luck and let us know how you make out. we are here for you.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,486

hiya!  congrats on getting through it!  i'm 15 months out and can just barely lay on my stomach.  it's super uncomfortable!  i'm fused to pelvis though so, maybe if you are to L3 and not S you will be able to, but i could only sleep on my side or flat on my back for the first good year!  i also had horrible light headedness for the first 3 months post surgery-especially if i was in a warm shower, or standing up or walking for a while.  i'm impressed you can get to the store!  i wasn't even allowed in a car for 6 weeks!!!!  keep hanging in there, and be patient.  as xrobynx said-lots of zapping zipping itching pins needles etc....i still have some zaps at 15 months out, it's the nerves firing and hopefully healing in their new spots.  the rib pain is a big hurdle-at least it has been for a few of us here.  it will get better someday....but that is a long haul.  for me it's gotten better with physiotherapy, but you need to talk with your surgeon about physio before doing it!  you are such early days from the surgery you need to rest LOTS and lots and take it easy!!!!!  but please, do get it checked out....just in case. 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

hello laura2004
    welcome to spine-health

i see from above that you have gotten some very valuable information from wllady and xrobynx, 2 of our awesome members. 
    you are only 2 weeks out and doing great. below is a link that may help you on recovery.
    recovery, the most important phase 

please click on the welcome link below and the tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

take care and keep us posted on your recovery.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History