Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Born with it

Hi my name is Melanie and I'm 38 years old and was born with scoliosis and other birth defects but the curve is in my neck, so they can't straighten it with a metal rod.

I have had two operations in my neck already to replace the discs first one was 2011 and second 2013, and am now waiting for my 3rd operation to be done. Was meant to have it done at the beginning of March this year, but now I have got problems with my liver and have under gone lots of tests and still going through them to find out what is wrong with it I don't drink and they have said its not the medication I'm on.

I also have arthritis in both my shoulders as well and am in chronic pain every single day. And I know that once I get this 3rd operation I will have to have more disc's replaced in the future.

I'm housebound and can't work anymore I did up and till 2010 when the pain got so bad and worked since I left school.

my husband has had to give up work to look after me as I really struggle with day to day life, and am very lonely because although family and friends sympathise and do their best to help but they see me cry get frustrated but don't really know or understand what its like to live daily with chronic pain not sleep properly loss of appetite. and struggle with the loss of my independence.

So I'm looking for new friends to talk to or listen to about how your feeling and understand if you have just had a operation or you want to have a huge rant and get it off your chest because I do understand what it's like to live with this day in day out and so do you.

Look forward to talking to new people and making new friendships

From Mel :0)

advertisement

Comments

• hi mel

yes we understand what it like to live each day in pain. is your scoliosis just in your neck? my scoliosis was in my lumbar and then an addition of a recurve in the other direction in my thorasic so 60 degrees bottom and 22 degrees top. i had the big s...lol i also had a bilevel fussion in my neck. the neck was bone sprs that my body grew to compensate for the scoli. have you thought about getting a second oppion. sometime you need to hear from 2 or even 3 different docs to know all your options. we are here to lissen and help if we can. hang in there, you not alone.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,442

Hi Melanie!!!

I am Kathy-46 right now...was 44 when i had my scoliosis fix from t10 to my pelvis.  My big curve collapsed to 110 degrees because inflammatory arthritis ate my facet joints....my compensatory curve was smaller...in the 40s when i was "fixed".  I was headed to a wheelchair....and terrified that my body was giving out all around me.  We know the pain every day.  We know the heartache and the struggle of trying to act normal in front of others...trying to get through a day and hating what we are dragging our spouses and family and friends through.

We are here.....lean! Vent! Talk! We will do our best to listen. Help. Support.  People here are awesome! I cant tell you how much they have all helped me. 

You arent alone. Its okay to cry and let it all out and be frustrated....and then pick yourself up again and go at it another day. 

Welcome to the forum....i look forward to chatting. :-)

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.