Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

l5-s1 annular tear a year ago, sciatica the whole time with no Fix. Please help.

had a back injury over a year ago, nothing i try works, been working on my core,swimming, walking sometimes the pain goes away for a day but then returns the next day, had an annular tear l5-s1 with nerve compression and now the government trying to cut my compensation saying that my pain is in my head. i didnt have this pain before i injured my back so its definately not in my head lol but i understand that thinking about it does make it significantly worse, ive had a steroid injection like 8 months ago which done nothing, i was back in the gym doing core work around december and my state of mind got a bit better and my pain went away there for a little bit but then came back really bad again really fast and havnt been good since. its starting to really defeat me mentally which is not good. ive been doing mckenzie technique for like 10months which doesnt seem to work anymore either. the scans say my back isnt that bad now but yet im stuck here with this nerve pain since the original injury. if anyone has a fix for this horrible shit it would be greatly appreciated, heard cbd can help and if anyone has used it and it worked can you please share the products etc :) 

advertisement

Comments

• Did you get hurt at work? How did the injury happen?

• yes i done it crawling in a roofspace, i work as an electrician

• advertisement
  • Do you have a worker’s comp attorney? That’s where I would start.

• There is absolutely NOTHING more infuriating than being told the pain is all in your head! ...Except maybe being denied coverage because someone who doesn't know you decides the pain is in your head.

I wish I had a fix for you, but I don't. Walking and stretching seem to help me, but as I've been getting steadily worse for a year I can't say it's a perfect solution.

As you pointed out, the mental aspect is the toughest. Do you have a strong support network? I find that when I'm around other people I feel a certain pressure to act normal which can put me in a better mood. 

And staying busy helps. Since you're an electrician, I suppose work is out of the question on your bad days. Do you have any hobbies or activities you can do that don't cause pain? Personally, I can't stand sitting or lying down when I'm in a bad state, so I started doing a lot more cooking and cleaning. (Great hobbies when you're brain dead and sleepless in the middle of the night.) I've heard standing or walking is uncomfortable for many people, so those may or may not be options for you.

Hang in there!

• @AriesWolf3 thanks for your comments, i havnt been working at all in the last year except a 3 week period when i was only on trial for like 4hour days, which made me go south. the part i cant wrap my head around is that the core exercises,swimming, walking etc that are meant to help stir my nerves up and make the pain worse.. which puts me off doing the exercises at all and puts my state of mind back in a shit place because i just dont know what to do. i feel all the people ive been and seen say different things and i dont know what to believe anymore, some say mckenzie technique, others say dont do that because its bad for the injury i have etc... im lost and running out of hope, cant stand and do things i wanna do and cant even jump or jog without the sharpest of pain coming on

• advertisement
  • I’m surprised you’ve only had one ESI. Sometimes it takes two or three before you know if they’re helpful or not.

• @daminsinclair you're in a rough place, no question. I can't even imagine how tough it must be to deal with both the stress of being unable to work and being in constant pain.

I've done quite a bit of reading about treatments for sciatica, as I obviously have a vested interest too. I work in academic publishing, so I know how to search for academic papers and how to evaluate research. What I've found has been disheartening. Even medical professionals don't have a good understanding of what causes back pain and related issues like sciatica. Unless it's a clear-cut case where something is pressing on the nerve there's usually no good explanation for what's causing symptoms. And the clinical trials I've seen fail to show that any treatment has reliably good outcomes. So doctors and other professionals have no choice but to try less-than-optimal treatments and hope something works.

I've also noticed that I've become a magnet for everyone who's ever had a back problem. (And EVERYONE has had a back problem!) Everyone has their own miracle cure that they swear by, whether it's drinking turmeric tea, particular stretches, meditation, a TENS device, massage therapy, a hot pad, whatever. I'm willing to try new things if they're safe and inexpensive (can't hurt, can it?), but I see no reason to follow up on every tip when there's no evidence to support any of them. 

I wish I had something more encouraging or helpful to say to you. But you're in a really sucky position and there may not be an easy way out. You have every right to feel the way you feel, whether that's angry, or frustrated, or depressed, or desperate, or all of those and more. 

On my very bad days, I won't let myself look past the next 10 minutes. I ask myself, what's one thing I CAN do right now that will make me feel better? Sometime's it's calling a friend, or reading a book, or going outside for just a few minutes. It's so easy to feel powerless, and sometimes I just need to take back a little control.

• On my very bad days, I won't let myself look past the next 10 minutes. I ask myself, what's one thing I CAN do right now that will make me feel better? Sometime's it's calling a friend, or reading a book, or going outside for just a few minutes. It's so easy to feel powerless, and sometimes I just need to take back a little control.
    Good paragraph. Bears repeating.
advertisement