Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Lamectomy surgery with multiple fusions

I just recently had back surgery on 3/18/18, and had multiple fusions done with hardware put in and now having complications with swelling and pain in the lower part of my spine where the incision stops,I had been set of for physical therapy and have been doing this for 2 weeks now with some of the exercises still not able to do,I was told by my surgeon no bending stooping or over doing I haven’t been and have to stay on ice packs most of the time,I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? I also have sclerosis,degenerative disc disease and artheritis! Open for all answers on this please!

advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

hi angelgirl,

Considering you are only 60 days post-op, having some pain isn't uncommon however contact your medical team about the swelling. How many levels did you have fused? In the past 4 years I now have almost 80% of my spine fused including my entire lower spine connecting to my pelvis, the latter just 1 year ago. Understandably it's had an effect on me but I'm able to stay fairly active and do pretty much with limited restrictions.

I have a severe fast moving OA disease which in effect results in degenerative disc disease or adjacent joint degeneration to my fusions. I had some mild scoliosis which was stabilized during my last procedure. Their are several others still active on this forum that can offer you a lot of good information and support. Keep us posted and hopefully you will feel you are improving soon.

• Ranger

I've been reading your posts. I saw you have a severe fast moving OA disease.  Does this have a name? How were you diagnosed? I also have OA in entire spine, hips, knees, wrists and fingers. For the past few months left wrist and right shoulder have been giving me a lit of pain. Have appt for xrays on the 25th. Having mukti level PLIF on 31st. It jyst seems the OA is overtaking my entire body. Can I ask if there are any meds they have prescribed for you? And if they help. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since 1999 but now I wonder if it's the arthritis  most days it feels like a truck ran over me. Have also notices weakness in legs and arms and hands. Difficulty lifting things and opening jars and dropping things.  Any help would be greatly appreciated  

• advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

hey bonnieleeoffivethree,

Other than severe OA, no other name for it. I've been tested and retested by my rheumatologist, end result, "severe OA." I do know mine is a genetic disease, of all family members my aunt and I have been hit the worst. There is no cure, you just deal with what's thrown at you. Like you it has consumed most joints in my entire body.

For medications, I've had success with Celebrex. I know it still has decent effects as I went off it prior to and post-op for a bit after my last spine fusion. In 2010 I finally gave in to having my left wrist fused as the pain was unbearable constantly. I have a high tolerance to pain so I knew I had to do it. One of the best things I had done. 8 plus years of zero pain in that wrist to date.

I can see changes over time, loss of hand/finger strength, some balance issues, not as productive, but heck, I'm getting older as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to share any info that may be helpful to you or others.