Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Curve correction with Chêneau-Toulouse-Münster brace

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with scoliosis 9 months ago. We are living in South West France and his curve was first noticed during a routine school medical. I was slightly upset with myself as I had a Harrington rod procedure 26 years ago when I was 17 and thought I was pretty good at keeping an eye on the kids backs. Anyway, the first 8 weeks were spent doing some fairly standard physio while we waited for an appointment with the consultant. At our first meeting with him the X-rays showed that he had a 23° curve and that the best course of action was to be fitted with a Chêneau-Toulouse-Münster brace to be worn for 12 hours a day. After some very clever 3D body scanning the brace was fitted. Despite the odd sick day or special occasion there has been no problems getting my son to wear it. He took it to school to show his mates and gave it a name ‘Shelly’. We have been conscious not to over dramatise the situation with him. He knew from the start that he may need an operation some day and that we all have things to deal with in life. This just happens to be his thing and we get on with it as a family. He plays football (soccer) every day and embraced the advice to stay as strong and fit as possible. I asked the consultant what the best exercises would be for him and his response was; with a 10 year old boy the best exercise is one that he will be motivated to do every day. We had our first check up with the consultant this week after 6 months and his curve has reduced to 14° which we are obviously amazed by. The next step is to continue with the brace for another 6 months, (Things may be a little more challenging now summer has arrived) and if there is the same level of correction, he may no longer need the brace and a period of observation would continue. Sorry for the essay, I just thought I would share our journey so far.

Paul

advertisement