Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Intrathecal Pump Trial

Sheduled for a pain pump trial on 7/12/2018. Worried because of all the scar tissue built up over 8 surgeries. Not sure my PM Doc is up to the task of getting catheters in place. Have had many issues having contrast injected for CT myelograms under floroscopy. My back is a mess. Anyone else have experience with this test after having numerous back surgeries? Any difficulty? My biggest concern is that if a problem arises they can't do an MRI on me because I have a incompatible ICD device implanted already. This will make it very difficult to diagnose some issues with lead placement....I think....

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,776

Hi 8BackSurgeriesLatet!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I understand your worries, I had the same ones. But it depends on how the test is done. Every surgeon is different. I had a neurosurgeon do the test and the implant. All he did for the test was give me an injection of morphine in several places from L2-S1.
    The pain immediately went away. He said he put more than usual because we had a 2 hr. ride home. But there were a few places he could not get in so he just went around it.

I'm sure your surgeon is aware that you have an ICD device and cannot do a MRI. Have you discussed this with him and what options do you have? Have you also asked where they are placing the catheter and why?
    Mine was placed at T1 for two reasons. That was the only place he could get in and I started having cervical and thoracic issues.
    Please talk to your surgeon before the test and get all of your worries and questions answered.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to give you more information about the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

I will be more than glad to help you through this, just keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 119

I have a pain pump (implanted last year) and have had MRIs and CTs with the implant.  According to the rep, neewer pain pump models are compatible with MRIs and CTs.

• advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,733
    edited 07/11/2018 - 12:56 PM

My pain management Dr. was not up to the task as I have scar tissue from many surgeries. I’m fused from T 12 to to S 1. But my Orthopedic Dr. thought he might be able to get it in. And he was successful 

Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • AndyShutzAAndyShutz Lake forest Posts: 15
    I had a trial as just an injection as well. I suppose to see if you can tolerate the meds. Mine was successful, relieved pain for about 2 hours and that was it. I had hoped for 5 or 6 hours. Anyway, awaiting authorization for pump and doc says he will use dilauded. Love to hear of anyone else's experiences with the Intrathecal pumps?
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,776

Andy
    I have had a pump for 1 1/2 yrs., morphine. It really changed my life of pain. The right dose has been hard to come by with my back constantly changing and the scoliosis is not helping. But overall, I'm so glad I made this choice. My refills are usually every 3 mos., depending on how many times I use the bolus shots. 
    You should receive a remote device, Personal Therapy Manager, that will give you an extra dose (bolus) every so many hours. Mine is set at every 4 hours. My catheter is located at T1. Do you know where yours will be placed? 
    I was having my dose increased every 2-3 weeks, very gradually. Now, I am comfortable with 2-3 months between increases to see how my body is going to adjust. I have kept a log from day one of my pain levels and time of bolus. I always take the most recent month's with me to my PM doctor.

If you have any more questions, I'll be more than glad to help anyone out. It might be best to start your own discussion on this subject so as to not hijack this thread.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
advertisement