Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 Disc Protrusion

Im almost 45 and since the age of 17 have suffered with various back issues, always resulting in horrendous sciatica. 

Recently, after falling asleep sitting upright in a couch with my legs resting on a coffee table in front of me, I did some damage when finally moving. I have no idea how long I was in that position but it was freezing cold and my back had not been feeling great for a couple of weeks beforehand. I literally felt a popping sensation in my lower back when I went to get up and have been in excruciating sciatic pain since. 

I’m almost into week 3 now and the pain has been relentless. 24/7 vice-like gripping and electric shocks deep in my right buttock, through my hamstring, into my calf, ankle and middle of my foot. Standing and walking is so painful and a 100 year old with a fake leg would walk better. 

I’ve treated with ice, anti-inflammatories (against advice from my stomach surgeon), chiro, tried opioids which almost made me end up in hospital due to bad reactions (seems they don’t agree since my gallbladder was removed), a painkiller injection in my butt and now Lyrica. Nothing has touched the pain aside from sitting in my chair at work (yes, I’m that crazy, I’ve continued working). I know sitting so much will not be best in the long run, but for the 8 hours I am in the office and seated, I don’t feel suicidal.

My GP has now upped my Lyrica dose but I’m dubious. He said if I’m not feeling an improvement in a week, I’ll be going into hospital for a nerve root sheath injection.  Lyrica is really only acting as a sleep aid at the moment, even then I will wake screaming when I move. 

The idea of this injection terrifies me!! I’m a wuss with needles, but I’m seriously unable to cope much longer with this pain. Some friends have said it the injection didn’t do much for them. 

If you can give me some words of encouragement and let me know of your experiences having this injection, maybe I can suck it up and ignore my friends crappy experiences. 

TIA

advertisement

Comments

• Hello! I am by no means a doc or am i diagnosing you. For me, pain in my leg (and very similar symptoms such as yours) meant a herniated disc. This meant i needed to get to an orthopedic spinal doc as soon as I was able too. Following his direction I have been going to physical therapy as well as injections (i have had 2, and third one is coming up). I am doing what I have to do personally as I am concerned with nerve damage to my leg. Hope this helps.

• ChooverCChoover Posts: 50
    edited 08/23/2018 - 2:38 PM

I should have mentioned: My injections are guided epidural injections (I believe a cortisone/ steroid) so the one suggested for you may be different. For me, I am really seeking to get better and I want to heal during the conservative treatments (if possible) without surgery. The doc may say otherwise next time i meet with him, though. The injections are what they are but if they help me get even some progress I am thankful. Mine is a series of 3 injections and my first one overall i didnt see progress. The second one gave me approx 10% improvement. My third one is in about a week. I have 1 herniated and 3 bulging disks, with degeneration. I am doing physical therapy also. I hope this helps.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,067

kayjaybee
     If it were me, I would get a second opinion from a neurologist or neurosurgeon. Has your GP done any testing such as a MRI or CT scan to find out where the problem is coming from? Below are a few articles for you to read, make notes and ask your doctor about.
    All about Sciatica 
    Sciatica Treatment
    Coping with Chronic Sciatica

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History