Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Third Spine Surgery Scheduled Saturday And Very Afraid

Hi Everyone,

I’m not new to the site and I’m so very thankful for it and the moderators who’ve worked so hard to keep it up and going 

To keep it brief, I’m a 39 year old single mother who has worked in Nursing over the past 20 years.  I’m scheduled for ACDF C6-C7 this Saturday.   May 2011 I had ACDF C5-C6. June 2017 I had L5/S1 Discectomy/Laminectomy.  

To say I’m beyond tired of this is an understatement. Forgive me for complaining I know so many others are in way worse situations.  

Just truly hoping for some relief and getting my life back.  

My recovery is going to be tricky   I have no help and it’s just my 12 year old son & I   

Any advice & words of in encouragement are truly appreciated 

-Darah

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,442

darah1979

Please join July Surgery Buddies!! That is where you will get the support and advice you need before surgery and during recovery. 
    While you are waiting on others to reply here, go to Surgery Buddies, any prior month and read how other members have done. How is your son with responsibilities? You might want to make him a daily list of what needs to be done so you don't have to tell him. Teach him a few things now that he does not know how to do.

Good luck with surgery. Hope to see you in July Surgery Buddies.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I posted in there :)

Actually he’s extremely responsible.  It’s just been him and I since he was born so I’ve taught him how to be very self sufficient and responsible.   The good thing is he is attentive to me and I know he will be a huge help 

• advertisement
  • Hi I have been battling back pain for 19 years. I am 46 and have had L5-S1 micro in 1999 and L4-5 micro in 2008. My first one I had never gotten pain relief and doc wouldn't believe me. So in 08 I researched and requested my now doc. He found fragments from first Micro and did second one. I was pain free after. Felt so good I blew both our in 2010 and had 2 level fusion. Had done relatively well for almost 8 years. Now my L3-4 is torn. My doc recommended me for Stem Cell Disc Regeneration. Says best thing to do without another major surgery. So 4 weeks ago they took bone marrow from my hip and spun out the Stem cells and injected them into my disc. Not alot of info about it , looks like from reading medical trials there a 30-40% success rate. Not sure if it's for me cause still having alot of pain in back and both legs through feet. Im giving it 3 more weeks and if it still allot of pain then they are gonna remove the disc and fuse that level also.

Insurance doesn't cover the Stem Cell injection. Doc told me $6000.00 to do it. I told him I couldn't afford it and he got donations to pay for it. My cost nothing and little to no risk. It might be worth asking your doc about.

I'll let ya know what happens

• Very keen to here how it went. Wish u well

• @ajhadsy 

Thank you for the well wishes.  Surgery was Saturday.  I was originally scheduled to stay over night but I was discharged Sat evening because I was well enough to get up to the restroom on my own and my pain was under control by taking pills by mouth.  I think yesterday I still had quite a bit of the meds in me from surgery so my pain was really under control.

This morning has been a bit rough.  Its extremely hard to swallow so I'm on  a liquid diet.  I have some surgical site pain but the most intense pain I'm feeling is sharp stabbing pain in my shoulder and neck.  I'm taking my meds as prescribed and just experimenting between the bed and couch on where I am the most comfortable.  Trying to be as patient as possible but I cannot wait to take this brace off, take a bath and wash my hair! ha! Crazy how the smallest daily activities seem like major milestones when you have to go through this type of surgery.

Thanks for checking in <span>:smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /></span>

• advertisement
advertisement