Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What do you do when you have to spend the night away from home?

Since I've done my surgery, I've been really careful with the quality of my mattress. However, I don't know what to do when I have to sleep in hotel or any different place. Do you guys have any strategy for these situations? If you are not sleeping home, what can you do if the mattress is not that good?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,305

Over the years, I have had to sleep in many different locations (ie hotels, friends, family) after surgery, after flare ups, etc

The biggest problem I always had was with the pillows and not the mattress.  If the mattress was too soft or too hard, one or two nights is really not going to make that much of a difference.  But the wrong pillow has done me in many times.   I generally have one of those blue long narrow neck pillows that I bring with me.  If not, I will roll up a towel under my neck.   For whatever reason, I can sleep comfortably with a hotel or any pillow I am not accustomed to.  I will wake up the following morning, with neck pain as well as back pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • I always take my own pillow , makes a huge difference when on a strange mattress. I agree with Dilaruo, a night here or there makes no difference to my my pain levels but my own pillow ahhh nothing beats it,

• Pillows make aworld of difference..i pack or bring my own quantity

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

•  How many favorite memory foam pillows have you had a memory lapse and left one behind in a hotel room?  

<—3 Times over my 10 years of back ache filled travel.  

I put them in strikingly colored pillow cases so they don’t blend in to the hotel bedding and I don’t forget as many. (before surgery, Haven’t travelled since surgery, am restricted  :(  )

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• advertisement
  • There is a hotel chain that promotes king size adjustable mattress settings.   Never could get these set right, and always had a terrible nights sleep with crippling after affects.  Will never stay there again. (won’t say chain since I think that’s against forum policy)

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 448

agree with @grtgrandma1aneeda70 - ask if the hotel has firm/soft mattresses when u are booking.  I really pay for it in pain if the mattress is too soft, but others with back issues can't handle too firm.  

• Most hotels seem to have beds with the foot being higher than the head, most of the time I sleep with my head at the foot of the bed. If the mattress is way soft, I take the comforter and sleep on the floor. I carry a horse collar pillow that I use on the plane rides. I have slept with that and have used a rolled up towel too. I should try to cut a length of a pool noodle, but will try that at home first.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
advertisement