Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

bone spurs leaning on SI nerve

Hi!  Has anyone heard of/had a situation where bone spurs have developed on a level that is already fused?  I have pain going down the middle of my left leg, my exact original symptoms from 2009, when I had a fusion at L4-SI.  An MRI taken 2 years ago when this pain first started showed that I had developed osteophytes, but didn't locate exact location, and also spinal stenosis at L4, which I assumed could happen eventually.  I had an epidural then, and for 2 years, the pain subsided, thankfully.  Now, it is back.  It is only sporatic, especially when sitting, and sometimes when walking.  My surgeon has said that an eventual fusion at L3-L4 would probably be needed but to try another epidural, which I have scheduled.  My concern is that my surgeon always looks at the DVD himself (MRI) like I'm sure most surgeons do, and doesn't read the reports.  He never mentioned anything about my SI nerve at my visit (this was my second MRI taken a few days ago to see if there was anything new from 2 years ago) but I did after I got home, and saw that the radiologist said there were bone spurs that looked to be leaning on the SI nerve at the L5-SI level.  This actually makes sense!  The pain seems to be consistent with something leaning on that nerve.  My question is, does anyone know what can be done about that?  What possible good can be done by fusing L3 to L4 to take away that pain?  I put in a call to my surgeon, of course, haven't heard back yet, but wondered if anyone has experienced this.  Thanks!

advertisement