Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Someone please help me

I am almost 40 years old. I have had back pain off and on for years. But for the past year it is  Not manageable. The only thing that seemed to help what's the steroids pills they gave me. I'm afraid to bend over I'm afraid to do normal things like vacuuming or  Sweeping the floors. It takes me 20 to 30 minutes just to get out of bed in the morning from the back pain. Then a few days ago after making my bed I went to take a step and I had no leg from the hip down it's like it was non existent. I have had an MRI done and it shows no issues. They did lab work and it showed that all of my inflammation markers were off the chart high. So the back doctor sent me to the rheumatoid doctor. The rheumatoid doctor touched my lower back and says to me 

" O you're just sensitive ".

Being over sensitive would not explain how the lower portion of my back right above the butt crack up the length of my hand,and as wide. Swells up when I'm in major pain. About the size of a large softball. And almost looks brewst. The pain starts in the center of my lower back in radiates outward left and right and it stops at the top of my butt cheek hip area on both sides. The one doctor said it was sciatica the other 1 said it would have shown up in the MRI if it was sciatica and a did not nothing showed up in the MRI. Can anyone please give me some direction on where to go here. The doctors keep tossing me  Back-and-forth to each other. I refuse to take pain medications or muscle relaxer just to throw medicine at the problem. I want  To know what is causing this pain and if they can fix it. And if they can't then I will take the medication. But I really would prefer to deal with the pain then be drugged up. There are days I can't do anything. And then there's days that I feel like I did 5 years ago but just mild pain. But mostly severe pain. Walking sets it off standing sets it off. I wish there was a way to post the pictures of how my lower back gets on here. The doctors  Will not even look at my pictures that I had my husband and kids take. I just need someone to give me some advice here.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584
    edited 08/31/2018 - 4:55 PM
    Just to be clear.

Your MRI indicate that there were no issues.

The blood work indicated that you do not have Rheumatoid Arthritis

One doctor said you have sciatica (which would be a herniated disc impinging a nerve) and the other doctor said no sciatica.

Since you do not want any medications at this time, then I have to assume you are managing to deal with any discomfort and pain.
    Identifying the root cause of any spinal condition can be very difficult. I doubt its that the doctors are tossing you back and forth, but when diagnostic tests come back negative, the doctors are also stumped.
    You didnt identify what type of doctors you have been seeing, that can make a big difference. But I would be more alarmed that one doctor says This is what you have and the other doctor says No! At that point, you really need to seek a third opinion. You always want at least two medical professionals to agree on the diagnosis and the treatment plan

While you did provide us with some details, there is a lot more that would be helpful. Please read and respond to
    New Member Guideline and Checklist
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Darby, I completely agree with Ron on a 3 rd opinion. It’s sounds as if the MDs are not ordering ALL the test needed to make a proper diagnosis. MRIs are good but you might mention a Mylogram, nerve conduction test, CT with contrast. As well as a few others. Have you seen a neurologist or a orthopedic? Pain can be also caused by referred pain ( coming from somewhere else ) Please keep us informed!

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • What was the one doctor’s reasoning for mentioning sciatica (radiculopathy)? Is it because of a herniated disc that he saw on your MRI?

• I know it's frustrating but for me I had a bad mri still no one could tell me why or how mt disk got buldged or herniated (depending on the doctor). I was the one who found what is getting me on a path to healing and when I asked the doctor he said oh yeah sounds good... no mention of it to me... as the lady that did my physical therapy explained to me back and leg pain can be a trail and error.... I'm still not 100% but I'm off meds for the most part unless I'm having a very bad day then maybe a muscle relaxer or ibuprofen but I had to go through a year of trail and error to get there

advertisement