Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My story of cauda equina from an accident

Hi I would like to share my experience with cauda equine. While searching on the internet I came across so many sad stories that I feel like I should also share mine. 

I am 24 male , five months ago I fell from a height of about 25 feet and broke my back.  I had L3/L4 burst fracture and I was unable to stand after the injury.  I could move my legs, there was no loss of power in my legs.  After reaching the hospital I realized that I could not pass urine or stools,  there was almost no sensation in that area. Doctors inserted a Foleys catheter and I was given stool softeners.

Two days later I underwent L3, L4, L5 laminectomy and L2 to S1 fusion.  After the operation the neurosurgeon told my family that the injury was really bad and I was unlikely to ever recover,  nobody told me this at that time which was a really good thing.

I was asked to stand and walk after a week,  I could do both, but while sitting I could not feel my buttocks,  it felt like a box is attached to my hips. I did bladder training for two months by clamping the catherter. It was removed after those two months. I could now feel the urge to pass urine but passing urine required me to put a lot of pressure using the abdomen muscles. I started to pass stools on my own 15 days after the surgery but again it required a lot of pressure and there was no associated urge to pass stools, I just did it at fixed times everyday. I also could not get an erection. 

For five months, I did kegel exercises everyday and ate really healthy food. I was also given calcium tablets and gabapin. I stopped taking gabapin after two months. There was a lot of very short lived burning pain in the genital area and hips,  there still is but now I don't have any numb area in the hips. The burning pain is from regenerating nerves. I can also pass urine, the urine stream is very good and now I also get the sensation that the bladder has emptied.  I can also get erections and able to ejaculate as well. Urinating still requires some pressure but it is way better now. Yesterday I visited the neurosurgeon and he was really happy and shocked that I made a recovery.

Sorry for the bad english, it is not my native language.

advertisement

Comments

• Great news! And your English is excellent as well! 

• Glad to read you story got better, as I was feeling incredibly sad for you. Keep it up

• advertisement
  • ashish15aashish15 Posts: 1
    edited 01/01/2019 - 3:55 AM

Androo don't feel sad about me.  Today I visited my neurosurgeon again. He told me that the fusion is complete now and I can do whatever I like after one more year except bungee jumping and skydiving. 

My condition has also improved a lot in the previous months. My urine and bowel movement are almost like they were before the accident. On a scale of 1 to 10 regarding my recovery I'd say my recovery is at 9 which includes recovery in sexual function as well. It sounds odd but a disrupted sexual function was a real confidence killer. 

I wonder if the nerves actually regenerates to the full extent or if our body adapts and make use of whatever has regenerated.