Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

PRP injections for L4-L5 disc herniation w/ nerve impingment

Hello everyone, I will try and make this quick and simple.  It all started 4 years ago when I was deadlifting in the gym when I hurt my lower back, resulting in a small disc Herniation.  Was always sick and tired of seeing people not heal and doing countless sessions in physio with no results.  I've heard good things about PRP in the lower back having the power to regenerate discs  and to hopefully put an end to this chronic pain.  I currently have sciatica which happened about 4 months after the initial injury, which has been with me everyday, and seems to be aggravated most by standing.  Anyways, I had my MRI down and lots of conservative treatments but it always failed.  I finally found a Neurosurgeon who did PRP under fluoroscope for damaged discs... it was expensive but I knew this was my best choice before going under the knife.  I had 2 injections around my inflamed nerve at L5 and one above the nerve as well.  I didn't want to do intradiscal due to hearing stories about it causing more of a disc degeneration in the future, and its not best to stick a needle into the disc which could create more problems down the line, so I did it just outside the disc.  I am 1 day post injection at the moment and I will let you guys know how it goes :) There hasn't been much discussion on PRP and the low back so I Thought I would be one of the few to actually get it done and post about it.   i'll keep you updated!

advertisement

Comments

• Please keep us posted. Thanks!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,443

hello kgonchar
    please click on he welcome link below and tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    welcome to spine health

although there has not been a lot of discussions regarding prp injections, we have some very good articles on the procedure and wht it is for. if anyone else is interested, go to the search box at the top of the page and key in prp injections, scroll down past the ads and you will find several articles.
    thank you for bringing this to our member's attention. please keep us posted on your recovery.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • 8 days post injection so far so good! Found about a 90% decrease in my sciatic nerve pain shooting down my leg. Felt it slightly at one time and then not again after a ton of walking. Keep ya posted :) 

• You've over a month out now. How has it gone? I'm considering PRP myself so I'm very interested in your results. 

I, too, hurt my back doing deadlifts/squats. L4/L5/S1 myself.

• Hi kgonchar.

I am about to get PRP done on my L4/L5 disc again (already herniated it 9 years ago and had surgery...trying to avoid surgery this time) I am was waiting for a date for a cortisone injection but read up on PRP and how it could be better long term. Can you give any update on how you have been? Did you need to do more rounds?

Any help is appreciate as there is not much out there on the internet and your case is pretty close to mine.

Regards,

Victoria 

• advertisement
advertisement