Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

June 2019 Sugery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in June, 2019.

Sandra
Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my  Medical History
advertisement

Comments

• Thought I posted in the right spot,  it apparently missed!

Surgery is set for 6.3.19

initial L4-L5 fusion in November went badly wrong within 2 weeks and I have suffered from misdiagnosis (and worse) since. Finally got a 2nd opinion, sent for an MRI (first one post-op despite ongoing serious issues) and was told I am “worse off than before” with a collapsed cage, new herniation, and a bone sticking into my right psoas muscle. It also appears the first surgeon didn’t do much of what he was supposed to (laminectomy, cleaning up facet joints, opening up root nerve spaces). 

So, I get to do it all again, likely adding S1 into the mix due to the damage from the previous surgery.  I’m in a lot of pain, new nerve issues getting worse by the day, but having the date at least gives me a light to focus on. My confidence level in my new surgeon is higher, so here’s hoping it all gets fixed right this time around and I can get on with healing. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,397

dagdobs

Glad you made it!! You may be alone for a while but if you need any thing let me know. I'm sure you read the information below the last time you were in Surgery Buddies. If not, here they are gain.

post op must haves 
    important actions to take before you leave the hospital
    recovery, the most important phase - patience required

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
  • advertisement
  •  bagdobs- Well, you are not alone although I am grateful mine is not from something going wrong.  My surgery will be June 5.  I will be the only one that day for 6 hours. Genetics was not too kind having bone spurs, DDD, stenosis, scoliosis, and... So far I have bilateral knees and a hip replacement and cervical fusion of C1-2, C5-7 due to a bone spur poking into my spinal cord.  It has been almost 8 months since that one.  I will be having fusion of T10-S1 with pelvic fixation.  Definitely not looking forward to this challenge but have been watching it regularly for 4 years now.  Surgeon says it is time so don't have to have extensive replacement parts with spine. He also said we would not do repairs in sections.  It would be all at one time.  I have had very little difficulties even though I look like a mess on the inside. I was told when the degree of curvature was at 40 we would begin looking at surgery but I calculated it to be another 70 years so I was safe from the knife.  I didn't take into consideration all the other parts that go with the scoliosis.  So here we go again.  Just hate this for my husband,  Seems like he is always taking over my roles! I am blessed that he comes from good genetic stock and drinks lots of milk :) I just eat the ice cream. haha 

Lots of info on the forum, with wonderful people who can identify with where you've been, are, and are going to. They also will provide you with all the insight, motivation, and direction as you could possibly want.  I've tried to wrap my head around what changes are going to be and what I need to have on hand to assist with my recovery.  Sometimes its just knowing others have been there and that you are not alone.  They recovered to live wonderful lives with the modifications necessary to stay as active as before and I will too. It's just that we all have different stories on how we may have gotten there. So you get to pick and sort thru all this marvelous data to improve your quality of life.

Blessings, Z  

• Sandra, thank you!

Z, I’m sorry you are facing all of that, it’s a lot! Mine, too is partly genetic and partly a lot of heavy lifting in life (I always feel the need to build something ;)

I’m a single mom and had 3 adult daughters home to help for 4 weeks the last time. This time, I will have my younger 2 who will take alternating days for a few weeks to take care of me, so it’s a bit more anxiety-provoking. I was def spoiled the first time around! Fortunately, we learned a lot from that experience and have made some adaptations already so won’t need to fuss over equipment and stuff like that. For now, it’s just putting up with the increasing nervey pain and side effects. 

I am learning that attitude is everything on this journey.

A positive attitude is everything. It is known to help before surgery and during recovery. We are always telling members "keep a positive attitude".
    Take care.

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • I’ll join the club 6/11. Lots of previous bone surgery but first back. Will do it all at once, six or seven hours; S2 up to T3 or so. Inpatient rehab after 3-4 days in hospital. Mostly scoliosis some stenosis. I’m four inches shorter than I was fifty years ago. Got the going home list and am customizing to my needs. 

Looking forward to being able to walk reasonably long times again. Not looking forward to being on pain medication for so long or lost range of motion. Not being able to twist or bend sideways may wind up causing major lifestyles changes. 

ernie686

Welcome to June Surgery Buddies!! You will find a lot of good information in the Scoliosis section, especially WLLady's thread "my scoliosis". 
    I also have scoliosis but not a candidate for surgery, age and other health issues.
    Take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
  • ernie686

Welcome to the club! ;) it’s good to plan ahead and have thing in order. That gave me something to focus on and helped me feel productive and proactive. Patience is key! I have learned over the last several months to be kind to myself.

• Hello Surgery Buddies, 

My surgery date is June 17. I’m having a Posterior Decompression & Fusion of L3, L4, & L5. They will also be removing a synovial cyst that extends into the canal at L4. 

My back problems began in December of 2016. My right leg and foot are numb from just above my knee down to and including my toes. My left foot instep and toes are numb. At times, I have significant pressure at my lower back, especially on the right side. Most days, I can only be on my feet for 15 minutes or less at a time.

I’m a 63 year old woman. I’m not a particularly active person, but honestly, I’ve been very lucky and always done pretty much whatever I wanted to do. Please know, I’ve never wanted to participate in sports - I don’t golf, play tennis, bicycle - nothing like that, but before my back problem, I could walk a mall or a museum with the best of them.  I’ve previously had PT, and exercise makes me grumpy. So get ready buddies, I’ll be a great joy in recovery.

Looking forward to getting to know others who are going through something similar. Thanks for reading.  

Chelie

Welcome to June Surgery Buddies!! I can already tell this is going to be a great group, talking to each other is so important.
    I love your attitude, so positive. I was 65 when I had my last surgery L2-L6. I spent a week in the hospital because they could not get my pain under control. Then I spent a week in rehab, which is the best that I could have done.

Read the links above, they have been a big help to everyone. Also the ones below.
    Take care and keep us posted.

ready for surgery? lets go over a few things

getting ready for surgery - before and after

Sandra
advertisement