Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

associated pain from neck muscles as a result of fusion at C5C6C7

advertisement

Comments

• Hello. I am new to this website and so relieved to find it! I had anterior & posterior fusion of C2 to T4 on July 30th & Aug 1st 2018 and recovery has been brutal! I also developed a compression fracture of T5 as a result of the surgeries, that wasn't found until 3 weeks post op, then I was given the wrong brace for it that actually created more problems (& wore it for 3 weeks before seeing the surgeon and learning I was in the wrong brace).

I have a ton of questions about the level of pain, PT, putting on a brave face & trying to appear "normal" to do-workers and even family, etc., and look forward to reading the threads about large fusions. However, I saw a comment on this thread from nutcase007 about "stroke like" issues they've had and I'm very curious if that included actual nerve damage and/or facial paralysis, and if so did the Vitamin D help? Did anyone else have similar side effects, what did you do for them, did they get better with time?  Thank you! 

• I so relate to this topic,  fused solid c4-c6 partial fusion c6/c7 (CAT showed a small line of bone between the two vertebrae otherwise where cadaver bone was is open space) held together with hardware. I have severe muscle spasms in my upper back, you can actually see the knots in the muscles on my left side.  Surgeon thought pain in arm and upper back was due to carpel tunnel, had that surgery, arm pain a little better but upper back a mess.  lidocaine patches, flexeril and massage only provide temporary relief.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • advertisement
  • Just my 2 cents worth, Had a unsuccessful C-5 through C-7 in Sept 2014, since that day, I live with Bi lat shoulder, arm and mid back pain 24/7. Surgeon won’t due a revision until any hardware starts failing. ( I’m in NO hurry lol ) but over the past few months have a increase of popping through out my neck. I’ll get a appointment in February for a follow up. Last MRI showed C-4 degrading as well so the surgeon says he’ll add that one in as well while he’s in there. The domino effect has started! This cold weather we’re having is killing me! It actually got into the mid 70s today Brrrrrrr lol. ( Got to have humor! ) My true concern ( being serious ) is the decrease of strength and endurance of my arms. Hang in there and Happy New Years all!.....David

• DavidG, have the exact same issues with arm strength, endurance and pain. The next level up from my fusion has ruptured, c3/c4 but like you not ready for another surgery.  Happy New Year to you as well.

laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I'm also an ACDF level 2 patient since May, 2017. I'm presently receiving dry needling and therapy twice a week. Even though the surgery solved the pre OP pain, now I've been dealing with the same problems I have read thru these post.

The dry needling technique helps ease the muscle tightness after the soreness goes away but only for a few days. I've been not only doing pt twice a week, I also do the the same exercises at home in between visits.

The only way I can start my day off is morning shower concentrating close too boiling water on my neck and shoulders area, then Aleve just to get my day started. The neck and shoulder muscles tightness is really depressing especially after coming close to the anniversary of my ACDF In May 2019

• advertisement
  • JayKayJJayKay Posts: 1
    edited 01/04/2019 - 9:04 AM

I’ve read all these comments and still hope, that I don’t have
    trigeminal neuralgia and these symptoms are caused by neck problems

These symptoms started after chiro manipulation with my neck. My MRI is clear just between C5/6 is small protrusion on the left

Already 6 months my symptoms are tight neck/shoulder, skull muscles on the left side tightness behind my skull and forehead

sometimes painful jaw earache very rare

(5 per 6 months) shooting pain episodes to the top of the head when swallowing
    hot drink

temple and scalp tenderness tingling and pain around the left eye and left nose side

sensitive painful skin spot on the left base of the skull

neurologist diagnosed, that this is muscle tension problem caused by stress

neurologist diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia

I still hope, that this is caused by neck, because when I feel pain around the eye, I feel

pain at the same time between the shoulders.

Tried last month 
    Lyrica and Amitriptilyne, no changes

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,894
    edited 01/07/2019 - 2:21 PM

JayKay, Sorry, but I am a bit confused regarding your post.  I had trouble following what you were writing.

1. First you stated that your hope you did not have trigeminal neuralgia and these symptoms are caused by neck problems
    2. neurologist diagnosed, that this is muscle tension problem caused by stress
    3. neurologist diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia

So, I am not sure what your formal diagnosis really is.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 

• Sorry, I mean that two neurologists diagnosed me neck muscle tension from stress, and third neurologist has other opinion: that this is trigeminal neuralgia. I think, that first diagnosis is less horrible.

• I'm also an ACDF level 2 patient since May, 2017. I'm presently receiving dry needling and therapy twice a week. Even though the surgery solved the pre OP pain, now I've been dealing with the same problems I have read thru these post.

The dry needling technique helps ease the muscle tightness after the soreness goes away but only for a few days. I've been not only doing pt twice a week, I also do the the same exercises at home in between visits.

The only way I can start my day off is morning shower concentrating close too boiling water on my neck and shoulders area, then Aleve just to get my day started. The neck and shoulder muscles tightness is really depressing especially after coming close to the anniversary of my ACDF In 

advertisement