Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI not showing anything so Im referred to Psychiatrist???

advertisement

Comments

• It's not just neurosurgeons.  Many years ago I had a colon resection.  About a year later I was in terrible pain, went to the GI doc, same one I had seen for many years, and told him i had terrible pain and same as previous symptoms.  He refused to do a colonscopy.  Told me it was all in my head and to see a psychiatrist.

A couple months later and several ER visits later on the advice of an ER doctor, I saw my GI doc again.  I insisted he do a colonscopy.  He did.  He told me if I did not have a resection in 6 weeks, I would die.  A part of my colon had died, I was bleeding internally, and their were other issues.

This doctor is well known, an expert in this field, and teaches at a major university.  But he was wrong and almost let me die.  Lol, I have other examples as well.  But, since you are in chronic pain it wouldn't hurt to see a mental health professional to help you deal with pain, in my opinion.

• To add - MRI Impressions showed "A small right central disc herniation at T2-3 that mildly indents the right ventral spinal canal and thecal sac, contacting and indenting the right ventral aspect of the spinal cord".
    I once saw a chiropractor who talked about the thecal sac a lot. I would get another opinion.
  • advertisement
  • timsdeecettimsdeece Posts: 21
    edited 11/28/2018 - 7:15 AM

"A small right central disc herniation at T2-3 that mildly indents the
    right ventral spinal canal and thecal sac, contacting and indenting the
    right ventral aspect of the spinal cord".  And a "C5/C6 disc bulge
    mildly indents ventral spinal cord" .

I recommend you find a surgeon who does artificial disc replacements and ask about their opinion on your case.

Personally I think somatisation is a cop-out diagnosis for doctors who are either too insecure to admit they don't understand your case or too lazy to bother further testing. So you're aware, somatisation is a diagnosis of elimination. it can only be proposed as a diagnosis after all other testing of other possible diagnoses have been exhausted - even then it can only be proposed as there's no actual mechanism nor body of rigorous scientific evidence supporting the view that serious, intractable, chronic pain can be caused by somatisation.

Have you had diagnostic injections? A CT discogram? Have your herniated discs been surgically treated? no? Then how can they be ruled out as the cause for the neck pain? they are the most obvious candidate.

I've had intractable nerve pain for 8 months that radiates from L4/L5 and local tenderness at exactly that location. On MRI that disc and only that disc appeared to be degenerative, when all others were completely fine (meaning it was more likely damaged from deadlifting/squatting/running than I have genetic issues) . My doctor tried to break out the somatisation nonsense despite the very clear indications of the imagery. He a[edit] path to treatments by writing on my referral letters for interventional pain management and rheumatological opinions that I was a very stressed individual and there are lots of stressors in my life, something he completely fabricated. I had no history of stress or any mental illness. I changed GP and am in discussions with multiple surgeons about my options.

Fact is, just about anyone can be made to look like a stressed individual. He took the fact that I was a PhD student to create a narrative that I was very stressed. Fact is, I couldn't give a shiny shite about my PhD; I could be told to leave and never come back and I couldn't care less. The only thing stressing me is being denied treatment.

• jme123jjme123 Posts: 27
    edited 11/27/2018 - 6:48 PM

Thanks all for the validation and comments he did a good job making me feel crazy.,..Everytime I feel pain now Im going to think its all in my head and not normal to feel this way, real nice. I will try not to and know this is not true but the man was basically yelling at me because the MRI doesnt show my symptoms the it all in my brain. I feel completly run down over this, every time I go to doctor they make me feel worse.

When I tried to explain any symptoms he explained MRI is gold standard of medicine if it doesnt show its coming from your brain. So I guess he would say this as well to all patients that has a nomal MRI?

No I have not had a CT scan they wont even offer it because they are so fixated on the MRI is the only one needed! He looked really annoyed when I said I was going to look into getting stand up MRI, not sure why.

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,037
    edited 11/27/2018 - 5:55 PM

Why are you saying your MRI is normal when the report says the following:

”A small right central disc herniation at T2-3 that mildly indents the right ventral spinal canal and thecal sac, contacting and indenting the right ventral aspect of the spinal cord".
    “C5/C6 disc bulge mildly indents ventral spinal cord.”
  • advertisement
  • jme123jjme123 Posts: 27
    edited 11/27/2018 - 6:07 PM

Thanks L4_L5 for pointing that out, I am saying it because thats what the man was basically yelling at me(that is was normal). He told me there is no way the pain Im describing and arm pain are coming from there and he just kept saying its all normal and coming from my brain! 

I seriously find it odd that if you have normal MRI's your told by Neurologists its all coming from your brain. This seems very extreme attitude, do all Neurologist do this? 

• I would try a new neurologist or neurosurgeon. 

I have had a bad experience with a neurologist (some are very good but you’ll get a dud every now and then).

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 693
    jme123 - As my current neurosurgeon told me, "Neurologists are basically worthless in diagnosing spine injuries/issues".  A good peripheral neurologist can find peripheral nerve issues.  Also again from my neurosurgeon, "MRIs are just another diagnostic tool.  They are overrated and are NOT the gold standard".  This neurosurgeon went on to say that,  "Any doctor that only uses MRIs for spine diagnosing spine issues, get away from him/her ASAP and find another doctor".  My neurosurgeon taught at a medical school and is know as one of the best neurosurgeons for complex spine issues in my part of the country. 

I agree with what my neurosurgeon told me because of my own experience.  I was jerked around for 17 years with other neurosurgeons, neurologists and physiatrists because they all kept only looking at my MRIs and EMGs to keep telling me there was nothing there and it was all in my head.  Yes, they called/told me I was a nutcase.  They also all sabotaged access to my current neurosurgeon.  I was begging to see my current neurosurgeon, while my former neurosurgeon, former super jerk neurologist and physiatrist were all in the same practice as my current neurosurgeon.  Oh, and in addition, my former PCP also sabotaged any referral/access to my current neurosurgeon. 

All said, all of these jerk doctors were only relying on MRIs and EMGs resulting in denied surgery that I desperately needed for 17 years, while working (sic) with my current neurosurgeon in the same office/practice.  When I finally got access to my current neurosurgeon via a referral form a pain management doctor (outside of the practice), my neurosurgeon had my primary and worst cervical issue identified and I had surgery within a month.  He told me after that surgery that I had the worst bruised spinal cord that he ever saw in his 25+ years of neurosurgery that wasn't severed.  I now have permanent spinal cord damage for the rest of my life because jerk doctors only relied on MRIs and EMGs. 

I hope people reading my post have figured out that I am angry.  I think I gotten over the rage, at least my psychologist tells me I have.  I am now on long term disability (most likely for the rest of my life).  I'm angry because I couldn't do the things with my kids while they were growing up that I wanted/should have been able to do with them.  The pain/anger it caused my wife.  The many relationships that I lost over my years because of chronic pain because jerk doctors were fixated on MRIs and to arrogant to let see the surgeon that could have helped me in 1998, but took until 2006 that I finally got access to him.  I am also angry of all the medical costs, lost salary, now reduced income since I'm now on SSDI and now things I won't be able to do in retirement.  I realistically estimate that I lost over one million dollars because of jerk doctor that only looked at MRIs and EMGs.       

I know other spine patients that lost so much in their lives because of lack of proper diagnosis (again, almost of the time the doctors were only looking at MRIs).  Yes, MRIs have their place, but are just another tool. 

I hope the site moderators do not feel the need to delete this posting.  If needed to keep my posting within site policy, please feel free to edit portions.  Please let my anger "show through".  I lost so my in life because of incompetent and arrogant doctors.  I know that I am not alone in my experience.

I have of late become more outspoken on this topic, because I appear to be one of the fortunate ones that might be able to obtain significant recovery and have at least a moderate quality of life.  It looks like I have at least another year of difficult rehab work.  I've been able to obtain some recovery of quality of life and it appears that working with both my neurosurgeon and current PCP (who doubles as my current pain management doctor), we have found a "wormhole" (term borrowed from the space trekkies) that looks extremely promising.  Quality of life improvement sure helps reduce my rage.  

• I’ve heard myelograms are the gold standard.

• My first referral to an orthopedic surgeon did not go well. He was very aggressive and almost yelling at me regarding surgery for my lumbar spine. He kept stating that because I'm an artist that I need to get surgery as it's important for making the world beautiful. It was a weird situation and I didn't feel comfortable in that office.

My pain management doctor referred me to my current neurosurgeon and I love him to bits. He's much more calm and takes the time to explain why certain tests are needed, and why a particular surgery is needed for the best possible outcome.

I was sent for my lumbar pain, but he saw I had a cervical CT scan and wanted to see what was going on there. He ordered a full spine MRI to see how much injury I had to my spine and where it was.

Turned out that my spinal cord was severely compressed between C5-C7, and there was severely stenosis and degenerative disc there as well. I also have severe lumbar stenosis with sciatic nerve root compression that interferes with my ability to walk.

We both decided together to do the ACDF first, as it was the most severe, and I had more compression than showed up in the MRI. I had a severe spinal cord injury that could have been catastrophic. Glad I got referred to him.

My neck feels awesome now thanks to him. He's going to do my next surgery on my lumbar spine soon, hopefully this month.

It's so important that doctors spend time to care about their patients and talk about the different options available without sounding arrogant. I got very lucky with my neurosurgeon. I wish everyone could have access to docs like the ones on my team.

Wishing everyone a better, pain free day, and lots of hugs, too.

advertisement