Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Revision Microdiscectomy L4-5 left

I am 57 year old male and, I am scheduled for my third back surgery tomorrow. I herniated L3-4 and L4-5 disc, right side when I was 21 and had my first surgery. The pain in my right leg reduced weekly but, it took nine months to a year before it completely stopped. At 27, I had a Chymopapain Injection to dissolve a second herniated disc at L4-5.  Since my first back surgery I have lived with moderate lower back pain, it has NOT stopped me from living, just held me up at times. For the past 25 years I have lived without leg pain, but have had on and off pain in the lower back, at the belt section. When this would flare up I would start the noninflammatory drugs and muscle relaxers. With a week on the couch it would go away. I have been in and out of PT probably 30 too 40 times over the past 30 years. About 3 months ago I started feeling pain in my left hip and within four days it had radiated into my thigh and down my leg into the back of my calf, once again this stopped me. Had an MRI and found L4-5 left herniated, Foraminotomy L5-S1 left. Doctor also said, " You have degenerative disc and arthritis." Well, I am a believer in not letting this get me down. Has anyone looked into disc replacement? 

advertisement

Comments

• Disc replacement depends on a lot of factors, scar tissue, ddd, arthritis and so on. My doctor said no when asked because I had pretty much all of the above & had already had three surgeries. They are always advancing technology so it is worth a conversation. G ood luck & hope you get the answers you are looking for. Feel well soon

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator