Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Alif L3S1 & Plif T5S1

Hello, I've been perusing this site for months and now its time to join! I am turning 65 this month and have surgery scheduled for 1/21 & 22 per my discussion title.

My background is that I've always had scoliosis but it was described as "minor"-never had an X-ray until 3 years ago when my back and leg pain started getting worse. I elected to have physical therapy and tried epidurals but I only had short term relief and now my lumbar curve has progressed from 40 degrees 3 years ago to 60 degrees for the worst part of the curve. Also, the leg pain progressed so that I couldn't walk more than a half mile later in the day and couldn't stand to do cooking or wait in line more than 15 minutes. I have nerve damage in my left foot which I've been living with thinking it was from chemo almost 30 years ago, only to find from my recent neurologist that it's from my back. So I'm ready to take the leap for surgery with the hope that the pain will be worth a long term gain. I'm pretty active and the thought of being in a wheel chair does not fit in my long term plans! I'm enjoying my last few weeks before surgery and am using all of the lists and suggestions I've found on this site to prepare for surgery. Thanks in advance to everyone for the help & support I've seen on this site- I'll be needing it pretty soon.

advertisement

Comments

• Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Keep that good attitude it goes a long way.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,589

Yes, I totally agree with challenger. A positive attitude will get you a long way before and after surgery.
    If you would like, please join us in Jan. Surgery Buddies. There you will meet other members waiting to have surgery and then recovery. You will find a lot of support and great ideas from other members. Below is the link.
    January 2019 Surgery Buddies
    Take care and us know if you need any more "list" for pre and post-op surgery.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,331

Hi Calisue

Welcome to Spine-Health

Welcome!! we also have a Scoliosis topic that you may find helpful.  several people in there with long fusions (myself included).  had 10 levels (T10-S2+pelvis) done in december 2016....lots of helpful information on this site for the ALIF and PLIF, and many other people here can also chip in!  happy to help any way that we can!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Thanks, Kathy- I've read & reread a lot of the conversations and I love how truthful the comments are-even when the topics and feelings are pretty raw. I can deal with the pain and it's not as scary when you can be prepared for what to expect-for me that's a big part of getting comfortable with the surgery. One of my concerns is the pain management and making sure I have good physical therapists. Someone commented that its a good idea to meet with your PT folks before hand and I never thought of that. I'm going to call over to my surgeon's office to see if there is time to make that happen. The pain medication seems tricky since I know I'll be in a fog-how do you know if it's too much? I guess the pain will tell me if it's isn't enough but I don't know what to expect as far as whether I should be knocked out most of the time in the first weeks or not? Guess I should've put this in the scoliosis section .....

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,331

hi calisue

the pain meds may make you feel foggy or tired, but you shouldn't be unable to function.....i know for me i was definitely "high" on them....so made sure i didn't use the stove or do anything too creative LOL.  the first 10 days on them were the worst for feeling foggy, but i definitely needed them, very important to keep ahead of the pain instead of playing catch up with it-it was fine at the hospital because there were people looking after me LOL.  at home it was a little different, because i was aching to get moving...and had to relearn how to walk and it was so slow, and so weird, and that wasn't just the drugs.  it's a fine line, your body will tell you....just make sure you listen to your body.  you will have pain, but it should not be debilitating pain-i found it more of an ache when i had it under control-unless i did something silly like tried to lean over or stand up too fast, or clunked my heels when i walked.....  and no worries, you can post in the scoli section later :-)

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
advertisement