Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can you tell me about body image/confidence after surgery

AmandaLAAmandaL Posts: 20
edited 01/11/2019 - 7:57 AM in Scoliosis

I have kyphosis, rather than scoliosis. I am 46 and curvature became apparent when i was a teenager, getting progressively worse. My curve is now 95 d3gres and the pain and fatigue severely limit exercise. As a result I am 20kg heavier. I hate the way I look.

My fusion is 7th February. Of course I am excited about symptom relief and getting a life back. But I am also really excited about not having a hunchback for the first time in as long as i can remember. I am hoping my abdomen <edited> will stop protruding as much. Eventually I hope I will resume exercise and shift some of the weight

Can you tell me how you felt about your aesthetic? Am i expecting too much?

advertisement

Comments

• *My ABDOMEN!

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,433

Hiya amanda i edited your post to abdomen up there.  :-)

so i had a long fusion T10-S2/pelvis and i actually found that my waist and abdomen "form" changed substantially.  i did get my waist  back, but i'm not symmetrical (not that i was before, but still).  my left side is flatter than my right and because my pelvis is now fixed my abdomen does stick out a little bit.  BUT i had scoliosis, with a very very severe left curve, and a compensatory right curve that was longer.  since mine was a lateral side to side shift and yours is front to back i would hope that they could straighten you some and help those curves be more normal. 

the weight thing is an ongoing struggle at least for me.....after surgery (2 years ago now) i'm finally getting more active-i can walk on the treadmill forever.  but running, biking, hiking outside...all still difficult.  so i try to eat less and better, and try to do what i can with the walking and swimming. 

how i feel about how i look?  well, i'm not as horribly curved as i was before, and i'm 3 inches taller LOL.  i like that i'm taller again.  but i still have a lean to the left and a slight twist which drive me batty.  but at least it's not getting worse any more and honestly, because i had so much pain and nerve dysfunction i'm happy with the surgery, even though i still look a little off to the left....

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for replying Kathy. And for editing my nonsense!

I am really glad to hear that you are happy with your results. It does sound like i may have to lower my expectations. Or at least be more patient with regaining a decent body shape. I will not wake up as Beyonce, huh?

• lol sorry but my expectations were that I would be taller and I would finnly have a waste and look more normal, boy was I disappointed. I lost half an inch and he slanted my back to the left some, took me from 60 degrees to 20, but I was flexable before so it did not show as bad as it dose now, yes this is very vain of me and I should be happy to not have the pain. I wished my doctor would of explaine just what I was going to be like..those high expectation of mine came with a big let down and a feeling that the surgrey was not real successful. talke to your doctor, ask he or her out right..what ot how much do you think you can fix, ask then, how do you think I will look. ask now save your self the pain for later

• advertisement
  • What was your condition/OP xrobynx? Was yours kyphosis?

• I was scoliosis, jumped from a big c at 46 degrees to an s with in crease to 60 degrees and a recuve or other part of the s of 22, that's when we did my surgrey

advertisement