Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long after upper spinal fusion can I return to office job?

I’ll be having a spinal fusion on the upper half of my spine later this year to correct my 40 degree curve.

I currently work an office job from home, where I sit at my desk for about 6 hours a day.

How long after surgery will I be able to return to my job?

(21 year old male)

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,643

Hello w_evans

Welcome to Spine Health

No one can give you this information other than your Doc they are the one with access to your medical records you should always take instructions from them. Asking members with no medical qualifications to guess is not advisable they can only tell you what worked for them, all spine patients are different.

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,433

hi w_evans

Yep, what Liz said!  and listen to your doctor!  mine said he wanted me off from my long fusion for 6 months, i was bored to tears literally at 3 months and begged to go back to work parttime.  he relented, and i started part time at 3 months and was back to work full time by 5 months post surgery.  on retrospect, it was too soon.  i should have waited because i was exhausted all the time....and working took everything i had, so i had nothing left for anything else, like cooking dinner or having dinner out or anything else! 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • w-evans After my fusion surgeries I was not allowed to sit for more than 20 minutes at a time. I ran a automotive repair shop, after my first fusion I went back part time at 4 weeks and did pretty well, after my second fusion I went back at 9 weeks and that was too soon, most doctors want you to be extremely careful for at least 3 months, you will need to talk to your doctor in depth about going back to work, because he/she will be the only one that can answer your question. Good luck with your surgery. 

challenger
    Spine-Health Moderator