Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Some observations of patient feedback on pump vs stimulator

grimmy72ggrimmy72 Posts: 5
edited 01/27/2019 - 3:58 PM in Spinal Cord Stimulation

I'm considering both and have been researching. Here's what I'm getting from reading user feedback. 

Overall:

Stim.  Mixed results.  A few happy, but some very unhappy.  Regrets. 

Pump.  Very happy.  Fewer regrets.

Mood or tone of post:

Stim.  Often frantic, desperate, anxious or resigned

Pump.  Optimistic, grateful, calm

What happens when pain isn't controlled:

stim - many reprogramming efforts, usually not helpful. replacement or removal

pump - dosage increased until effective

Pain relief:

stim - varies greatly, averages around 50%  

pump - can be complete, at least satisfactory

Pocket and surgical issues:

stim - prolonged healing or pocket pain that shows up after healing.  electrode issues.  high failure rate

pump- gets bumped sometimes but generally ok.  did hurt but better. catheter issues happen and can be more serious because it goes into the spinal cord. 

This can happen with either, but more reports here about the stim partly because they are more popular. Pump is larger, thicker. 

Both need to be replaced in 5+ years.  The pump must be refilled every 90 days but said to be not a problem.  Stim needs to be charged which is said to be inconvenient.

If you have one, how satisfied and effective you feel it has been? What do you think of the feedback you've gotten from others in real life or here about these devices?

advertisement

Comments

• gcrowley310gcrowley310 New Hampshire Posts: 21

I have a non-rechargeable SCS and I LOVE it! I’ve had it for a year and a quarter and it has been a game changer! I’ve had almost no issues and it gave me my life back. I was able to wean off all medications and I go to the gym, do yoga, etc. I am a teacher working full time and almost gave up my career because of the pain, but now I feel “normal” again! Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have questions! IMO, being off meds is a big plus.  Good luck with your journey!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,094

I have had a Medtronics pain pump since Jan. 2017. You have to remember that a SCS is for nerve pain and a pain pump is for pain that cannot be controlled by oral meds, usually when all else has failed. I had a SCS implanted and had to have it removed, I had too much nerve damage. So I have to live with the nerve pain.
    I have no regrets in getting a pump. Mine has been a bit of a struggle with dose increases because I have so many ongoing issues we are dealing with. 

gcrowley310
    I am so glad your's has been a success. It's great to hear someone say they feel "normal" again. 
    If you don't mind, I have bookmarked this thread so I can send members here to read your story.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement