Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

SCS Battery Pain and Lead Breakage T-spine

Hi I’m Michael, so I was a Police Officer and injured on duty and received a L-4-S1 fusion. As a result of the fusion I was in extreme pain. I had the Boston scientific SCS inplanted. Are used it with success for about four months and my fusion paint that I have now had this implanted in me for just over four years. For the last nine months I’ve been having pain and the last recent two months extreme pain where the battery is and where the leads are implanted in my T spine. I saw an orthopedic, a pain management doctor and a neurosurgeon; the surgeon says I have a lead breakage and “it’s floating around in there”. My battery has shifted over 3 inches now. Being that I have something floating around my spine that’s metal I would think that I needed surgery right away but they say until March 1 is when I can get in.  Does anybody feel that this is a pressing matter that a piece of metal is floating by my epidural space and risking a spinal tap? as I researched this and the doctors haven’t. Boston scientific came to the doctors appointment she said absolutely nothing the whole time and left even didn’t have answers for my questions except that “we dont see this a lot”. I’m kind of worried and nervous that if I move to hard or fast I will be injured. *** further note since the surgery I have lost 45lbs and body fat percentage of 13%. 

1- Has anybody had any of the similar problems, I scheduled implant removal surgery and pain is a constant 6 on a 1-10?

2 - Has anybody had a spinal cord stimulator removal? and how the recovery ?

3-  being that the leads our paddles in my thoracic spine will it be a more invasive surgery ?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond.  I know nobody else with a SCS and Im a complete wreck about this. Have a safe day and thank you

Gratefully, 

Mike

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,463

hi Mike

Welcome to Spine-Health

I'm sorry i cannot be of any help whatsoever in this case-as I don't have a SCS or know anything about it.  Best source of information will be your surgeon for sure!  March is not that far off, hopefully your doctor can give you guidance about if there's anything you should or should not be doing!  There are folks with SCS on here, so hopefully they will be by shortly to chip in.  in the meantime, welcome to the forum!!
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 330

Michael, I had my SCS replaced twice before it was removed. My first one had moved so I had surgery to reattach and then later to move it to my abdomen. Recovery from the SCS removal was not too bad, basically pain at the wound sites.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,245

Mike
    Thank you for your service as a police officer. While you are waiting for other members to reply, go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in "scs". Skroll down past the ads and you will find older conversations from members on this subject. Also look at Latest Discussions as there has been a few of these discussions lately.

I had a SCS removed just a couple of months after being implanted. It was causing more pain than I had to begin with and I had too much nerve damage. But I also had the leads taken out. Mine did not have enough time for scar tissue to build up. For me, the surgery wasn't any harder (I've had worse) and recovery was about 6 weeks. 
    If it were me, I would call your doctor again with an urgent request.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank is you all for responding, and thank you for the kind words Sandra.  As I’m writing this now 02/12/2019 1130pm. My battery has just moved basically to my crack. In extreme pain about a 6-7 lasting approximately 1-2 hours and episodes happening about 3-4 times a day. For the last 2 days. Debating I’m going to the emergency room I might stick it out to the morning and call the doctor and see what he says. 3 days ago my GF and I had some “making up to do”...  afterwords I didn’t have too much pain but the following day and the night of in bed I woke up four times in pain and it’s been all day periodically like I explained before .  I’m not the type to go to the emergency room unless I’m shot or stabbed or something broken but I just want to hear your guys thoughts on what you think is a good course of action sorry so late thank you very much 

Mike. 

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 330

Mike, one of the other causes (that I'm aware) that causes your SCS to feel like it is upon your spine is constipation. You haven't mentioned this as an issue for you but when I had the same "up against my spine" feeling it ended up being constipation. Just FYI. Jerome

• advertisement
advertisement