Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Trying to recover from disc herniation

Hi,

My story starts around 5 years back when I had meet with an accident which cause a disc bulge at L5-S1 region.. not really severe pain and could manage out till last year with just medicine and no exercises.

But last year I had it back again and with two bulges at L4-L5 and L5-S1.... with pain in my left leg...got PT done and was back on track with regular exercises. Though had got numbness in my left leg which was recovered by PT and exercises..

But in the month of October 18 I had another trigger which cause disc herniation this time it was a lot worse than ever before.. had unbearable pain in lower back,hip and left leg.. numbness in foot and leg... visited neurosurgeon they suggest surgery but as I wanted to try conservative method I got acupuncture done.. it helped me manage the pain.. 4 month down I don’t have pain in my lower back but I have lost strength in my leg.. my calf muscle are floppy, I cannot balance on my left leg.. definitely cannot do a toe raise.. I limp while walking but the limp portion in improving but not at a great speed.. recently I got leg cramps which was unbearable..my numbness is reduced.. but I have some pain in my ankle area... and I still limp while walking due to weakness... so just wanted to know if anybody  has come across such recover phase.. is this all normal and will my strength come back???

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

Its not clear if you had surgery or not.  One thing in time frame for recovering after surgery, but time lines with no surgery, there are just too many variables.

From what you describe, it sounds like some nerve pain/damage.   You might want to discuss this with your doctor to get their input

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi dilauro,

No, i haven't had a surgery yet. Trying to recover through conservative treatment. Now that i dont have pain in my lower back there is still weakness in my calf muscle. I am not able to do a toe raise yet. Feel ankle pain while walking and have heel pain and numbness on the heel edge. 

Not sure if this is still because the nerve is still pinched or the post effect of the nerve damage??

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

If it were me, I would contact my doctor.If you are still wanting to go the conservative method, there are other procedures he can do that may help.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • That depends on the person your doctor can do some tests to see if you are actually weak or if it's nerve related... I was able to do physical therapy and then pilates... I've been good I'm in the middle of a flare up now but no treatment for over a year. So I'd see the doctor let them know you want to avoid surgery and go from there 

advertisement