Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI Findings With Hemivertebrae

MRI results from November 2018, in case anyone is interested in reading about how a hemivertebrae might affect cervical spine mechanics. I have a hard time finding real people posting on this issue, so I'll make this forum my place to reposit my history. I've only had conservative treatments, with the most aggressive treatment being multiple RFAs.

FINDINGS: The lateral masses of C1 are hypoplastic. The transverse ligament is midly prominent, causing some impression upon the thecal sac that does not contact the cord, although the spinal canal is slightly smaller than usual at this level. The odontoid is also slightly hypoplastic. There is developmental fusion of the C2-3  interspace, with hypoplasia and fusion of the facet joints and spinous processes.

C3-4: This level may appear to represent the C2-3 level, because of the developmental anomaly. Disc height is normal. A posterior disc prominence is at least a disc bulge and some component of protrusion is possible, especially just to the left of midline. The deformity of the thecal sac does not compress the cord. Severe facet degeneration is bilateral, with hypertrophy contributing to the moderate stenosis of both foramina.

C4-5 and C5-6: The C5 vertebra is a hemivertebrae in the right side of the spine. These 2 interspaces are virtually fused. No spinal stenosis. The facets on the left are hypoplastic and fused into one mass. Remnants of the facet joints are seen on the right. Foramina are quite narrowed.

C6-7: Mild narrowing and moderately severe degeneration of the disc. A large, right, posterolateral combination of protrusion and spur causes rather severe stenosis and deformity of that foramen and is displacing the right side of the cord. The left foramen is mildly narrowed. The right facet joint is moderately degenerated. The left facet joint is very mildly degenerated.

C7-T1: Normal disc height, with mild degeneration and minimal posterior disc bulge. The right side of C7 is hypoplastic. There is moderately severe degeneration of the right facet joint. The left facet joint is normal.

No herniation or other significant abnormality is evident at what is labeled as the T1-2 level. The right side of the T2-3 disc is slightly narrowed. The right side of the T3-4 disc is also slightly narrowed. Scoliosis is convex to the left. There are no posterior herniations or spurs at these levels and there is no spinal stenosis.

No cord lesions are seen.

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 920
    hdgrubb - Are you having pain of lose of neurological function?  I'm missing part of my C1 vertebrae, but am fused from C2 to C7.  Also a congenital condition.

I'm not minimizing your condition.  Knowledge can empower you.  Maybe there is medical advice of things you should or not be doing to manage your condition. 

I wish you health and hope you do not need surgery.  If any surgeon wants to perform surgery on you, please understand the risks and possible outcomes.
  • No worries, not minimizing at all. I'm probably headed your way pretty soon hah. No loss of motor function yet, I still have plenty of strength and dexterity in both arms. Lots of sharp neck pain that runs down around my collar bone into my left shoulder tip. Some slight numbness and tingling in my right thumb, index and middle finger. I also frequently go numb behind my left shoulder blade. Drilling pain with numbness on the right side base of my skull and the scalp is sensitive to the touch on the right side too. Relentless burning along my entire neck. Migraines if I sleep the wrong way.

I feel for anyone that has to deal with any level of spinal pain. It's so difficult to maintain a positive outward image at work, to friends and family and have a general positive outlook. Quite honestly I don't know how much longer I can put up with my neck as it is, let alone after a surgery. My shit is so complex, what kind of surgeon in their right mind would actually look at my images and think....yeah, I want to handle this one. 

Thanks for being out there.

• advertisement
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 920
    hdgrubb - Given the symptoms you are describing, I think you would serve yourself well to be getting an opinion from a complex spine surgeon.  There are good spine surgeons out there that specialize in complex spine issues.  Depending where you live, you might need to travel some distance.  Please don't wait until you are seriously debilitated.  Please feel free to PM me.