Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did i mess up?

SemanticsSSemantics Posts: 3
edited 03/17/2019 - 9:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am 1 month post L4/5 fusion.  Been feeling great and walking a ton.  Some lower back pain in the morning but ZERO nerve pain.

My wife is 8 months pregnant and sick, and my 18 month old daughter started crying last night in her crib.  I picked her up and made her a bottle, carrying her on my hip.  

Well, after she went back to sleep I started feeling some coldness in my feet.  This morning my lower back feels a little stiffer, and I’m still feeling some weird nerve stuff in my feet.  No pain, just coldness/very light tingling.

Please tell me I haven’t messed myself up.  I’m terrified to go back to being in pain.  I had hope for the future, and now I’m pretty scared.

Thanks for this forum

I definitely have some questions and I came here because I’m scared

advertisement

Comments

• Semantics

Welcome to Spine-Health

You are still very early in recovery from fusion surgery, nerves can start waking up at any time after surgery, and to me that is what this sounds like.
    Are you using ice packs? They can be very helpful with pain relief.
    If you have not had pain since surgery, I would contact my surgeon to report this, they will most likely say the same thing, but may want you to start taking a nerve medication.
    I realize it can be hard when you have small children, if you must pick your daughter up be sure you have your brace on.
    Hopefully this is just a little bump in the road and goes away quickly.
    Keep us posted.

Chip

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• Thanks Chip.  I will.  I realize it was a stupid mistake, but I really wanted to give my wife a break.  Hopefully is just a MINOR setback

• advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 359

Did your surgeon provide you with recovery guidance? It is very important to follow that guidance. I cannot imagine picking up your 18 mos daughter is within the instructions never mind you probably had to bend to pick her up. I understand wanting to help but you have to take care of yourself and allow yourself to heal properly or you can make yourself worse. Best to call your surgeon's office and ask for their advice about what you should do. Hopefully you are okay and continue to heal well. Good luck! Jerome

• DavidGDDavidG Posts: 937
    edited 03/17/2019 - 4:24 PM

Semantics, Chip is 100% correct! It seems all of us have those Oh [edit] moments after surgery lol. Whether it be Cervical, Thoracic, or Lumbar. And we all worry about those moments! It’s just something you need to keep in the back of your mind ! Like Chip advised, ice it down and take it easy for a bit! Your way to early in the healing phase to be trying to lift. If symptoms continue, insure you get with your surgeon!.....David

Edited by Liz Spine-health moderator 

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

advertisement