Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

debating wheter to have cervical surgery or not

Hi All,

I am just writing to you all to gain some insight. Looks like I am leaning towards having surgery. I posted my story under the new member section, you can read it there, I don't want to post a repeat discussion. Long story short I have a bunch of bulging discs in my neck but the main issue is at C5-C6 with a disc herniation compressing the left side of my spinal card and left C6 nerve root.

I have tried epidurals and facet injections, neither worked and my neck is worsening along with my symptoms of numbness, tingling, tricep weakness and hand tremors.

My doctors and I are now in discussions of the next steps. As I mentioned in my previous post, fusion is my only option because I have lost the lordosis in my neck. My doctor explained to me that the surgery would be quick, its considered outpatient and I would be home the same day. Hard neck brace for 2 weeks, soft for the next few weeks after that. He told me it would be about 6-8 months before he would even recommend any type of lifting for me, which means 6-8 months of no work since my job is basically all labor. The toughest thing about all of this is the fact that I may have to find a new job now because work causes me pain and has contributed to my symptoms progressing.

Truth is I'm scared. I'm only 25 and have a lot of problems in my cervical spine and lumbar. Surgery scares the crap out of me because of the things I have heard regarding fusions.

Has anyone had surgery and their symptoms did not get better or their quality of life was impacted because of the fusion? I know each person is different and the ultimate decision comes down to me but I would just like to hear from anyone, surgery or no surgery, successful or unsuccessful. Did anyone wait and their symptoms progressed past the point of being fixable?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,522

For starters take a look at these sets of articles and videos.  The more  you know about your condition and treatments, the better you will be

All about Cervical Surgery

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Baseball, As I’ve posted in your last comment, I’ll try and make it brief. A surgeons definition of a successful spinal surgeon is Stabilization. Nerve pain, is not part of that equation. The longer you wait, the more issues you end up having. The one good thing you have going for you is your age! Trust me when I say I wasn’t scared for my surgery! I was terrified lol. It was the first time I’ve been in the hospital since I was born. But without surgery, you will end up with permanent nerve damage. Recovery time depends on ,many factors. The biggest one being listen to your surgeon and follow his instructions No 2 cases are ever the same! You can read through all these sites and honestly they scare you worse! That’s because all the success stories you never read because that person doesn’t come back to the forums except this one. Here most members become online friends and stay in touch checking on each other. Yes, your life will change after spinal surgery. Heavy lifting days at the gym are over regardless. Contact sports are over. But it doesn’t mean your life is over. The recovery process is lengthy but worth it! Like I said, your young, your body heals faster then some of us “older guys “  and you’ll do fine! Hang in there my young friend! It will all turn out great!......David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement