Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How safe is SCS?

My doctor has offered to implant an SCS. I want to do plenty of research before making a decision. According to this research study, one patient was paralyzed from the waist down after getting an SCS and another died. Many lesser complications are cited in the same study, although the study concludes that neurological damage is rare. Is SCS worth the risk?

advertisement

Comments

• chadscs

welcome to spine-health

learn how to use spine-health - take the system tutorial 

new member information guideline / checklist 

spinal cord stimulators are generally considerded  safe and can be very effective, i had one for several years, and for the most part got relief from it, i had to get it removed after i had fusion surgery, it stopped working, so it was removed during another surgery.

i think a lot of the success comes from the doctor and company rep. that does the programming after the surgery, i have read here where many members have trouble getting in touch with their rep. when they need something, so that would be one of my concerns if you decide to go forward.

i had no problems with mine and did get relief, i think the main problem is infection after the surgery, and for some patients they really do not get any relief, you are doing the right thing by doing your research.

if you will go to the top right of your screen to the search box and type in scs, there are many articles and discussions.

chip 

challenger
    Veritas-Health Moderator