Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Cardiac Issue

I have afib, so I need cardiac clearance for my surgery. The cardiologist ordered an echo-cardiogram and a stress test. The echo results came back fine. The ECG report lists an "old anterior MI." I've never been diagnosed as having a heart attack. I tried to get in touch with my cardiologist today, but I didn't hear back from him. So, now I'll fret over the long weekend.

My question to everyone is: has anyone had fusion surgery after they've had a heart attack? I don't think I did have a heart attack, but if the test says I did, is my fusion surgery off the table?

advertisement

Comments

• DavidGDDavidG Posts: 1,029
    edited 06/18/2019 - 11:34 AM

Chelie, for one I hate hearing about your A-fib. Do not let this ruin your weekend and especially raise your B/P over a 3 day weekend. You’ll find out on Monday that everything is fine! Clue #1 They didn’t call Rescue during your stress test! Keep us posted and again, please don’t let this stress you out......David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Thank you, David. 

I went & read the result again. It says "no ST segment changes." So given what you said, I guess I'm probably OK. 

The Nuclear Medicine report says "ejection factor is 60% within normal limits." All of that report looks pretty good to me. The only negative was that I have some scarring from breast cancer surgery that obscured part of the "anteroseptal wall" (whatever that is). Yes, I'm rather a medical mess!

Trying to hang in there.... thanks again.

• advertisement
  • Well welcome to the group lol, Your ejection factor is great! There are certain things to look at on a 12 lead EKG that can show new versus old but please relax. If your MD was concerned he would have not had the stress test. I think it’s a shame to hit people with news like this right before a 3 day weekend! They don’t realize the anxiety they put people through when they do this. But just from what I’ve read...Enjoy your weekend!.....David

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• Candy47CCandy47 Posts: 1
    edited 06/18/2019 - 11:36 AM

Secondly you passing the stress test was great. A EKG only shows the “ electrical activity of the heart” where a stress test shows the electrical activity under a load as they watch for ST changes or PVCs. With the echo, their looking at the valves as well as the ejection fraction. Talk to your surgeon. I know multiple people who have had massive MIs and then had fusions and everything worked out well.

advertisement