Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

surgeons

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 969
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hiya,

Has anyone had a orthopedic surgeon that has treated them badly? The surgeon that did my operation was ok with me , but then after the surgery he had me in tears. I was told to grow up and i was nothing but a big baby, by this point i was in tears. If there is anyone who has had this problem i would like to hear your story.

Angie x
advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately I too have been badly treated by an O/S. The first one I had was very rude, told me i basically was putting it on. (I couldn't sit after laminectomy/discectomy because of the intense pain.) He called me a fat pig and I obvioulsy didn't care about getting better etc etc etc. :jawdrop: Just what you need to hear when you are so low, in pain and depressed anyway- thanks for the encouragement.
    Basically he stuffed up my surgery and was trying to cover up by blaming me.
    And he was supposed to be the top in his field!

Mind you this is not particular to O/S, Rheumatologists are the worst. I think because they deal with people all day who are in so much pain that it becomes a form of self defense.

I have also heard of Neuro surgeons from others on here that are just as rude.

So dont take it personally- I know that is hard but really if they have to behave that way then I feel pretty sorry for them as they have to be really sad people.

Now- Two of the nicest most understanding people I have ever met are my current ortho and his anesethist. I couldn't have found nicer, kinder Drs if I had tried. >:D<

Blessings Sara O:)
  • you r exactly right on, sum times these doc.s become numb from hearing about problems whether it be pain or whatever they lose their compassion,and that makes them upset from the time they get up get in the office to see us, they should have to take a class on not losing your compassion, caring, kindness, concern, for their patients. because som docs do.i have 2 docs that i dearly love my family doc and my rhumi, the others i just take them as i have to cause thars the way it is. i have seen 4 neurologist in last 2 months they all diff oppinion diff, options, diff everything its weird i would think they would at least agree on more then 2 things after all there are about 100 things to agree,disagree on im not just a bag of potatos they can throw around im patsy the person, ....patsy
  • advertisement
  • My NS was also top of his field-he did an awesome job on the surgery (which is what matters most)-but his bedside manners were terrible. He did not explain the surgery to me-I had to research it myself and when my surgery took 9 hours instead of 6-like he said, he did not even come out to explain to my family what was going on! When he DID come out-9 hours later, he acted like it was no big deal like he EXPECTED it to take that long! I got the OR report just so I would know what happened and he did WAAAY more than what he told me he was going to do-I guess that is what took so long. He also came into my hospital room and told me that I was going to keep throwing up if I kept taking narcotics-I told him that he needed to READ my chart-I did not take a single pain pill-I was sick from the anesthesia. In the end-I already have less pain than before my surgery-so I can overlook all the other stuff.
  • LOL, I agree.

Mine O/S is also top of his field but I think with this comes the price of a ceratin arrogance (sp) but Ortho surgery is no fixed science, these chaps (ladies) need to be tough really to face what they do. Not that I am being gloomy, we all know the risks we take when we go for the surgery, Ortho doctors get the most complaints and litigation throwm at them. Makes me smile because yes they should explain more carefully to th epatient what to expect then perhaps the patients wouldn't complain but then again, My own surgeon goes from saying nothing to TOO Much detail and scares me to death. I have a very expressive face and I know he can see it.

On the day of my surgery, I noticed he was slightly "manic" and laughed as I shakily signed mt paperwork. I thought thtis was strange but also wonder if this wierd mania was all about performance in surgery - you know under stress you perform better kinda thing. Weird.

I do know that as Angleback says, 3 doctors, 3 opinions and most do not have a very good manner. They expect you to be mind readers and can be quite blunt and rude. Its a doctor thing...it must be part of the hippocatic oath!!! (joke)

Seriously tho, they do need a certain wackiness, how else could they do what they do? There is alot to be said for the doctor god joke....lol.
  • I think they come in all breeds. I have been an RN in peds, ob, nicu, and floated to many other areas. I think the family practice mds, and pediatricians are often the most friendly. Surgeons, of all sorts, on the other hand, seem to be more quirky. I think maybe their 13+ years in school/residency begins to alter their personality!!??? Now my NS has always been very friendly, approachable, willing to answer all my questions, even encouraged me to write a list of them to bring to my appointments. But I have heard from others at my hospital he is a PIA, always demanding new equipment, supplies, etc from Administration.
    My hospital has several new technological gadgets thanks to his persistance, which are benefitting us patients (ex. O-ARM). I was told by our risk management RN, he is jerk, but an excellent surgeon. I'll take that :)
  • advertisement
  • When I first met my O/S, he told me I needed surgery (discectomy, and in hindsight I really was too far along for anything else). So I burst into tears and yelled at him "Of course YOU think I need surgery, you're a SURGEON!" I thought his bedside manner sucked until right before going into OR, he came in to see me and he was all excited and I'm thinking that if that is the only time I am going to see him get enthusiastic, then really, I can live with it.

I consider myself one of the fortunate ones, but I am probably also one of the people that wear them down. I make an effort now to "work with him" and not have meltdowns, he has certainly earned my respect.
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • hiya sara,

the surgeon who did my operation also stuffed up and will not admit it. he is rude and arogant, talks over you and not to you , so you dont have a clue whats happening.
    Thankyou for your reply x

Angie x
  • hiya,

i totally know where you are coming from, i feel so sad for you that you have gone through all that. But on a happy note you come through. =D>

Angie x
  • hiya,

Dont you think that it could be a power thing? because some people you give them power and it goes to there head .

Angie x
  • Hiya,

Thats good that you can talk to him, i wish there were more like him .

Angie x
advertisement