Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Oxycodone being discontinued?

advertisement

Comments

• OK, I have a problem here that I've been trying to figure out. My prescription says "Oxycodone" generic for "Oxycontin". It's the 12 hour time released medication. I've often seen on this board where the two drugs are considered different. What gives? I'm confused at this point?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,272
    Jewels, I dont know how other pharmacies handle this, but
    on my prescriptions, it says:

Oxycondone then in parenthesis Oxycontin

Then I have

Oxycodone 5mg or called OxyIR for Immediate release
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • Are they taking generic forms off the market... I just think that with so many people already taking them, that this would be harmful to a patients health, in the fact that they would no longer be able to afford the name brand?
  • I work in a pharmacy, haven't posted in about a month...

We've been out of most strenghts of the generic Oxycodone ER for quite a while. We actually have some 40's and 80's left, as these are the less common strenghts. You probably can still find somewhere that has some,if your particular pharmacy is already out. Keep calling around, especially if it will save you money; however, ALL insurance companies are treating Oxycontin as if it is a brand without a generic, which is is different from if you were choosing to get a brand while a generic is available. Call your insurance or have turn in you rx before you assume what the price will be. Most ins. companies have several tiers of drugs - least espensive generics, more expensive generics and inexpensive brands, brands without generics, and brands with generics or really, really expensive drugs (some cancer/specialy drugs fall into this last category). This varies by plan, of course. Some plans are stingier than others, and your Humana, Blue Cross plan may be different than someone elses, it depends on the "group" you are in (ie, the plan your employer has purchased). Yes the American private payor insurance program is especially complex!

Also, I see people all the time with these little Oxycontin coupons that give them 50.00 off per fill and are good for a year's worth of pills. They must come from the drug reps, ask your doc.

And Oxycontin is Oxycodone Extended Release. OxyIR or Roxicodone is the brand name for Oxycodone HCL (hydrochloride). This is immediate release, think Percocet without the Tylenol. They are not the same thing!!! The conversion is this: Oxycontin 10mg equals taking one 5 mg tablet every six hours. So, if you were to convert to generic immediate release tabs, you really wouldn't even be taking that many more pills anyway. Of course, that is assuming you take only one Oxycontin every 12 hours. Many people take it every 8 hours, so I don't know what the conversion would be. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist, as I am neither. Just a tech, but I do know insurance :)
  • my 2 cents
    oxycodone is the narcotic that is in either percocet(oxycodone) or oxycontin. on bottle it will still say oxycodone even if you are taking oxycontin. oxycontin is time release oxycodone and oxycodone ir is just percocet. it is confusing to put oxycodone on our bottles especially if we think we are taking oxycontin. if it says 20,40,or60 mg for dose then it is oxycontin, ie oxycodone 40mg=oxycontin 40mg. if it says oxycodone 5mg or 7.5 mg or 10mg then you are getting basically percocet(ocycodone)
    clear as mud? i hope i helped explain this because i was at first taken back when i looked on my oxycontin bottle and saw oxycodone-generic for oxycontin.

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,272
    Here is another thread that I started to try to clear up some of the confusion about the Oxy family

The OXY Family

It can get confusing, especially when you read your prescription and then see whats on the prescription bottle.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I guess I'll jump in on this too. The ongoing mystery of OXYCODONE and OXYCONTIN. Oxycodone as Terror put it, is the narcotic however it too comes in immediate release strengths of 20 and 30 mg. as well as 5, and 15 mg. OxyContin which is the Brand Name for the Extended Release Oxycodone comes in many strengths that are now made by many pharm. companies. I do understand that one of those companies might be doing away with their version of the Extended Release Oxycodone. There are many more companies that make it. I had posted in another thread, the site that has all the different companies that make it and their pictures too. It is:

www.pharmer.org/imprints/narcotics#oxy

This site will show you all of the different companies that make this drug and the different strengths that it comes in. It also has Hydrocodone, Morphine, well, all of the narcotic pain meds and also the benzos too.
  • some bottles say 'oxycodone generic for oxycontin' because mine says OxyContin...thats it.
    Just my 2c.

<:P
  • RosettaStone mentioned calling around to different pharmacy(s).I don't take that kind of medication,but I was thinking that if you signed a contract stating that you would only use one pharmacy would'nt it be the pharmacists responsibility to call around for you?

When I was taking a medication my regular pharmacy ran out and I could not take the generic brand so he called around and had the script brought into his store from another store for me.I guess I took it for granted that this was standard practice.
  • CII drugs can't be transferred between stores, which sucks because you can't help customers out or get rid of overstock. At least Colorado law states so. I would imagine it's actually federal, but I suppose it could vary from state to state. All other classes of drug can be interstore transferred, but not CII's.
advertisement