Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Emergency Surgery (or close to it)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been battling a number of ailments since being injured several months ago. My injuries included my knees, lumbar, and cervical spine as well as a few other areas.

I have had surgery to both knees and have been treating my cervical and lumbar spine with varying injections.

I knew I had a herniated disc impinging the C7 nerve. Well, last week all hell broke loose. The disk ruptured (herniated) even more and I was in a world of hurt.

The pain was getting worse by the day. I hurt from my neck through my left shoulder down through the arm. I could watch the surface of the skin rapidly twitch, the skin on my forearm was numb, as were my middle fingers.

I went to Urgent Care ( what a joke ) and they sent me home with a muscle relaxer and mild pain killer. Broke right through that.

Next day was the E R. They tried some stonger meds including percocet and fentanyl patch. Broke right through those.

Got an emergency appointment with my spine doc. I walked in crying my eyes out the pain was so bad. They took one look at me, did some quick tests, and did an emergency admit to the hospital. A quick MRI showed the herniation was much worse.

As this was a Friday afternoon no one was going to do surgery unless I was going to die. I had to wait until early the following week. The kept me in the hospital trying to control the pain.

A Neurosurgeon performed the surgery beginning of the week (decompression and fusion) and I went home about 27 hours later!

The pain in my left shoulder and arm is pretty much gone. Fingers are still numb, but hopefully that will resolve itself with time. I was scared to death of the surgery, but am so relieved now that it is done.

After I recoup for awhile we will start back in on the other issues.


  • I know exactly how you feel. the first surgery I had I saw the ortho Doc late Thursday afternoon and had surgery on Friday morning. He put a collar on me before my surgery and told me not to take it off until I had surgery the next day, he was concerned if one good jolt it could paralyz me. It all happened so fast I really didn't have time to be scared....hope things are going better for you
  • I had a herniated disk L5/S1 for well over a year along with severe sciatic pain. I kept on working through it all, man was that hard! My left side (Butt, leg, foot, etc.) was so bad that I was dragging my leg behind me as I walked. After I had been diagnosed my husband and I had begun the quest for a great surgeon out of town, in the big city. Well, before I could find the "right" one, all heck broke loose for me too. One morning after the alarm went off I started to get out of bed to get ready for work. Well, the minute that I put pressure on my left leg, down I went. I was 100% unable to stand on my own. My hubby rushed me to the hospital and they admitted me immediately. We also happened to have a copy of my MRI with us. Emergency surgery was scheduled for the next morning. I was in so much pain, I never even had a chance to be scared of the surgery itself. I was in the hospital for 7 days. It blows my mind when I keep reading how people left the hospital as soon as 2 to 3 days after surgery. I have to admit, after I recovered from the first day of post-op I felt like a new woman! Too bad that it didn't stay that way. Just 6 weeks later and 3 days before I was to return to work, my disk re-herniated! I had to have surgery #2. This is where I will end this message as this is the point where my life began to go downhill. I hope that you are feeling better, and that your surgery will be a complete success. Good luck and TAKE CARE OF THAT BACK!
  • advertisement
  • Man, that picture of you is a really good one! You are one handsome little devil! }:) LOL! =))
  • :) be sure and follow your doctor's orders concerning your recovery!! he knows what he is talking about! please keep us posted and good luck with your upcoming surgeries! Jenny :)
  • And that is my good side!!!
  • advertisement
  • Mine was kinda like that too.
    On a Wednesday night at 7:30 pm, I went down.
    Massive pain and could not move.
    Let Thursday go by to see if it would settle down. No dice.
    Friday at 3:30pm in the afternoon, I called my doctor in Los Angeles.
    Lucky for me, they had a last minute cancellation and I was able to get the vacant time slots on the following Wednesday/Thursday.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

    L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Paul,

    Pretty amazing how little it takes them to let go once they are weakened from the original herniation.

    I have to say, I was freaked out waiting less than four days for the surgical slot. I don't know how some people can wait two months or more!
  • I had my post-op surgery meeting yesterday. Spoke at length to the surgeon. When I asked him what had happened to my disc he said in a nutshell the disc puked out the nucleous pulposus. He showed me the size of the chunks he had to fish out of the foramen. Little wonder I was in such pain. :O :''(
  • Man, I am so sorry for you. Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing.

    Best wishes......
Sign In or Register to comment.