Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hardware and Dentistry

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After I had a hip replacement, I was told by O/S that if I had any dental work done including clean & scale to make sure to have antibiotics prior.
So the dentist orders me a script and I usually have a mega dose 1 hr prior to my appointment.
Now as I have just recieved a reminder to see the dentiast I thought to ask the Spinal surgeon about this and he agreed that it would be good to do for the hardware in the back as well.
The reason being is that different parts of our bodies are linked up so an infection in the tooth or gum can become a serious problem for other parts of our bodies. I sure would be cheesed off if I had a dental problem and the hardware in my back got an infection. :''(
I know that heart patients too also have antibiotics pre dental treatment.

Just thought I would share that.

Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• Never heard that one before! I have mitral valve prolapse and I have to take antibiotic prior to dentestry for that-but I am surprised that I would have to for hardware-weird.
  • People with hardware and implants should definitely be informed if that's the case. Would love to hear more on this subject.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • When I had my knee replacement in 2000, I was told I'd need to take antibiotics every time I have my teeth cleaned. I was told the same thing after my back fusion with hardware in 2007.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • i always had to take it prior to seeing the dentist with my hips too.
  • My surgeon gave me a form saying if I had any dentistry done within 6 months after surgery, I would need to contact the dentist for an antibiotic script. According to my surgeon, after 6 months, the antibiotics are not necessary.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the info Mark.
  • Like so many other things to do with spinal surgery there will always be some Surgeons that do and some that dont.

I would just rather be safe then sorry and I know from having previously looked into holistic dentistry how the nerves in our teeth can effect other body parts.

Blessings and happy smiling :D
    Sara O:)
  • Its a risk if you have any type of dental work done not to have antibiotics before and after. Think about it you are messing around with the strongest germs around our body. In the mouth if the grems get into the bllod streamm you get an infection, well the infection will go to the hardware and even if you are 6 months or years out of surgery you can get an infection there.

Regardless if you get an infection in your bloodstream, it more than not will go to the hardware and it will have to be taken out. 1st thing they would do is give you antibiotics, then take the hardware out, replace it if not fused.

Who would take the risk of all that trouble for a little dental work. Has anyone seen the screws they use in hardware. They are hallow and big and they have a thing at the end that the rod goes into. I kept my old hardware wonder if I can find it to post a pic.

I'm almost shocked that so little people know the risks of dental or even different surgeries that you should always take a round of antibiotics.

• my doctor said to follow the american heart assoc. guidelines for antibiotics regarding pre-medication for any dental work or any other surgery for six months
  • Makes sense for me!
advertisement