Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hospital Experiences?

Comments

• I can't say much as I have only been in a hospital Once for me and I would rate it a 9.I did check it out for its cleanliness and staff before going there.Food and late night staff was the only drawbacks. My NS does his own MRI's but I am horribly claustrophobic so I ask for some xanax or valium to get into the tube. It does cut out the noise and apprehension.Check these places out before you spend your time and money/ins.
    I am going in for L5-S1 Fusion In Oct. I hope this stay is as good as the first, but It may be longer.
    Good luck on your next one!
    RB in Indiana
  • Was also thru a nurse'e eyes. Just trying to advise why they might have done certain things. Even as a nurse, even though I know what will happen, we still get nervous! :)
  • advertisement
  • (high fives Sue) Well said! I too am also a nurse, from Indiana.
  • I really admire you for being a nurse! What steps do you take to help insure a successful hospital stay? How do you handle being nervous? I think it would be great to have your background so you would know why the IV is beeping! (For example) And know what the drugs were and what the mdnight techs were doing... so many things.
  • I just had a PLIF this past Monday, and I would have to say I rate my experience as an 8. I was first on the surgery schedule for the day, so my hubby and I had to be at the hosp at 5:45am which meant we had to leave our house just a little after 4am. When we got to the hosp we had to wait in the main lobby for about 10 mins, before they were actually ready for us. Then a little more waiting before I was prepped. They took me up to what was my room, which was a private room with a tv, small sleeper sofa bed, big bathroom with shower, a sofa chair, and a regular chair, and a storage cabinet to put clothes in. I had several people come in doing their thing prepping me for surgery, and when I was ready they called my husband up, so got to see him for few minutes before I went into surgery. He was allowed to stay in the room as that was my room while I was there. I was awake all the way to the OR, and the last thing I remember is the anestheologist is putting something in my iv. I vaguely recall recovery. I had a pain pump with leads going directly into my incision to deliver numbing meds to it, boy that was nice. ;) I had a cath in until later that day, and I was actually ready for it to come out, I know some people would prefer to keep them in, for the convenience but not me. They were also giving me meds orally, so time was rather fuzzyy for me :O . I was gotten up out of bed later that evening for my first walk, and also use the restroom. I actually did several walks that night already. Any time I rang the nurses station, I was answered very promptly. My night shift nurse was competent but not overly friendly. My biggest problem I had there was on Tues., my ns had told me I would probably be released on Tues., so we waited and asked and waited and asked. Finally on one of my walks through the hallway we went by the nurses station, and my nurse told me that the ns assistant would be in to see me in just a short bit. She came in and told us she would have us ready to leave by rush hour traffic was too bad. =D> So Tues afternoon I was sprung :))( to go home.
    So here I am at home starting my recovery.
  • advertisement
  • Hello all! :-C

My hospital stay started at 5:30a.m. with the pre-check. Went to a private prep room specifically for out patient surgery. While I watched television nurses came in to shave my back (lol funny I know), insert my i.v. My mother was allowed to stay with me in this room. Then my Dr. came in for last minute details, then the anethesiologist (sorry spelling) came in and spent about 15 minutes with me explaining what he was going to do.

At about 7:15a.m. I was rolled out of that room to the operating room. Boy was it cold in there! I commented to that fact, and the nurse immediately went and got me a very warm blanket and laid it over me. ahhhh :X The anethesiologist looked over my bed and said he was going to give me something to relax, then BAM! I was out! lol =))

I woke up in the post-op area at 9:45a.m. and was immediately asked if I was in pain. I wasn't in too much, just real uncomfortable so she gave me a shot of something. The surprising thing to me was when I woke up how fully AWAKE I was. I thought I would be groggy or something, but was totally wide awake. Wheeled to my private room at 10:30a.m. Given oral pain meds around noon, and given a hamburger and fries but the room was so hot that I couldn't eat a thing. Everyone who came into my room commented how hot it was, and thankfully after an hour in the room they brought me a portable fan! :X During the first few hours they kept asking me if I needed to use the restroom, which I responded nicely and jokingly that I was sweating everything out. lol.. they laughed with me and said they would keep a close eye on me. Around 2:00p.m. I finally went to the restroom. Talking about being sore getting up. Nobody helped me get up, nobody showed me how to roll or get up. Thankfully I had already learned the log roll etc... from prior P.T. visits. At 5:00p.m I went for my first walk around the floor, 2 laps, then I immediately asked to be discharged. Even with the fan, it was so HOT! :jawdrop: At 6:00p.m I was discharged and was home and in my own bed (with fully functional a/c) at 7:00p.m. Overall my experience was a 10 up to and including the surgery, then a 7 for the hospital room.

• I am in the land of OZ and I have to say I would give the Hopsital 9.5.
    My pre-op that morning was a bit rushed but OK as it kept my mind from thinking then the anesthesiologist came to see me and talked for the better part of an hour about all that was going to happen. He warned me that I may be swollen when I wake up die to the length and position of the op and that I would be in ICU and have a ventilator in. He was great and really helped me relese any concerns I had.

I dont recall recovery (my surgery was 12.5 hrs and finished at 1am) and woke in ICU with the nurse reminding me I had a ventilator in etc. I was VERY swollen and my bust had gone from a DD to a GG :))( Couldn't even see over them. My face, hands and feet were the same.(my brother didn't recognise me :))( ) I had drips into each hand my neck and into my heart area so was literally plugged in!
    Next day I went to my room which I called the Presidential suite as it was so large you could have fitted 3 beds in there and it had a plama TV!
    I had a few days on bedrest as I needed more blood and my BP was very low.
    The only problem I had was with one nurse who I suspect didn't wasnt to have a 'high dependancy' patient.
    Unfortunately I unexpectidly got my monthlies and she was really cheesed off about that - LIKE I HAD PLANNED IT. When she was giving me a bed bath, she 'accidently' pulled the catheter out :jawdrop: and boy did I scream.
    I asked for a different nurse and for the rest of my stay -10 days) everything couldn't have been better.
    Oh and the meals were restaurant quality.
    Both the Dr and anesthesiologist came to see me each day.

So there are great experiences out there, I have had my share of not so great ones too so I really relished this one.
    Sara O:)
  • Wow, what a day! I am so impressed with that. Remind us what type of surgery it was? Would you recommend doing it as a day surgery? How were you in the days right after? How are you now?

Best wishes,

Haylie
  • Hiya Terri,
    >:D< Its nice to see you are back with us. How are you feeling now ? I am glad the time that you spent in the hospital was a pleasant one. Thats just how it should be. I do personally know how a nurse feels, as i used to work in Mental Health. I do completely understand how over worked that career can be. Not sure if it is the same in america, but i used to work a double shift, i would start at 8am sunday morning, then i would work through until 8am monday morning. At times i would burn myself out.

Angie x :)
  • Hiya,
    Just to say welcome to Spine Health. Good Luck for the surgery in october. Keep us posted .

Angie x
advertisement