Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New update on leg shaving fiasco (lol)

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, I went to the Neurosurgeon's today to see the Physician's Assistant. My Neurosurgeon wasn't there, but they wanted me to come in ASAP.

He said that he isn't sure the weakness in my right leg and right foot would go away, that it could possibly end up being permanent. He did the normal strength tests and said there is a significant amount of weakness, but it's not completely dead. If it were, he'd have me in surgery tomorrow. But he said since there is a little strength there, that he wants me to come in to see my surgeon on Thursday and see what she thinks.... And to be prepared for possible surgery on Friday. The other surgeon who looked at my films with the P.A. agrees that if it doesn't get better, it should not be left until October 16 (my fusion date). I'm supposed to finish the steroids and then take 800mg of motrin three times a day. So basically if it doesn't get better I'm looking at another microD on Friday, and then having my fusion on October 16, as planned. But apparently I reherniated L4-L5 when I was bending too far shaving my legs... So that was what I felt give in my back. Gotta get up now though, numb foot! Lol.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear about the reherniation. :/ I hope you get some answers real soon and can get some relief from your problems.
  • Ouch, Lo,

I am so sorry! What I don't understand, why do you need to have a microD on Friday, and then a fusion on October 16? Can't the microD be part of the fusion surgery, and most importantly, get it over with with one surgery? The PA may be quite good but is not a NS, so it is the NS's call what she wants to do.

I hope, for your sake, that she can do everything all at once.

Wishing you the best possible outcome!

Hugs,

Kin
  • advertisement
  • I am familiar with your story. I wish I could say that my injuries had stemmed from some adventurous lifestyle cliff diving or slam dancing or something like that! I will be following your progress closely if you don't mind. I am in line for PLIF and going to see my doc about scheduling for it on 9/29. If you want to chat about this or anything else I would be happy to offer support.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • First of all I'd like to say "sorry" about the new herniation, that really sucks. But I have a suggestion that can help to prevent this from happening again, and make your life easier all around. Start getting your legs waxed! That's what I do. I just couldn't handle shaving my legs in the shower anymore because of the pain and exhaustion but when I discovered having them waxed instead, it was like a dream come true. My legs stay soft even when it begins to grow back in again. Good luck and may you have a very succesful surgery!
    Jewels
  • They can't do the MicroD the same time as the fusion because they are using a vascular surgeon along with my Neurosurgeon, so even if they could move all her patients around, they can't really move all his... He's at another practice, not in the group with my Neurosurgeon. So basically my fusion HAS to be the 16th, but they don't want to leave the pressure on my nerve for very long because it can cause permanent nerve damage... The fact that my foot is pretty weak is not a good sign, and they don't want to leave it until next month.

The P.A. didn't decide about possibly doing the MicroD Friday... The head Neurosurgeon of the group did. He is the one who started the practice. Graduated first in his class at Boston University. He's VERY, VERY good. So if he thinks it's something that needs to be dealt with ASAP, it more than likely does. My Neurosurgeon will basically ask me if it's gotten any better, and if it hasn't, than more likely than not I will end up having surgery Friday. If it doesn't get better I don't want to risk being stuck like this permanently.... It's worth it to have 2 surgeries if it means saving myself from having a foot this weak already at age 22. I can't imagine how horrible it would be to be stuck like this. I am not supposed to drive... Can't really do stairs, because my right foot can't hold me up... I'm constantly losing my balance and nearly falling... And my leg goes numb all the time and I have to get up and walk around every so often. This herniation is worse than my original one... If they could move my fusion up to Friday, they would have, but since it's not possible the Neurosurgeon thinks it's best to get the pressure off this week if it doesn't get better.

Thank you. I appreciate the well wishes :)
  • advertisement
  • It would be a much better story that way. Lol. Shaving my legs.... Not so much.

No problem at all. We can definitely keep in contact. I will update you on Thursday after I see my surgeon!

Thank you for your offer of support. I just may take you up on that :) Same goes for you... Message me anytime! :)
  • Thank you :) I appreciate it!
  • Thanks. Waxing is def a good idea... Just can't afford any as of right now :( I'm actually a Certified Cosmetologist with a separate certification in waxing. So if I could buy myself some professional products I could wax my legs myself.... I'll have to keep an eye out.

I can't shave my legs in the shower, either :( I sit on the edge of the tub and lift my legs up one at a time. Seems to work.... I still shave that way but I don't bend anymore. I fill the tub with more water so I don't have to reach anywhere. Men are so lucky they don't have legs and armpits and whatnot to shave. Lol. I'd rather just shave my face!
  • so sorry to hear about your reherniation Lo. :( Sounds like your NS is on the case though - good luck for Thursday and let us know how you get on.

Leg wise I lie on my back and bend one knee and then hook the other foot over like I am doing a piriformis stretch - kills two birds with one stone - I dont bend and I get a stretch in too!

N

• Lo, I understand the rationale for the two surgeries, but that just seems too much to put a person through. I mean twice the anesthesia, etc. I have worked in a hospital for 21 years, and believe me they squeeze people in, move people around, all the time, no matter how many surgeons are needed. Trauma for instance from a car accident, gunshot, whatever. So it seems to me if you need an urgent procedure they could pull some strings to get it all done at once, especially since you are having 360 fusion anyway, so they were going to open your back regardless for the fusion. It just doesn't make sense to put you through that due to the general surgeons scheduling conflict. Who knows, sounds like they haven't even asked him yet so maybe something could be worked out. I would really push for that if you end up having to go in this week. I know you trust your surgeon, but two seperate surgeries is two seperate surgeries, which means more risk. Actually it is more like three surgeries since they will be opening your back again with the fusion. I hope it all works out for you, but just know that they change schedules, add people on, do Saturday surgeries for emergencies, all the time. Good-luck, Sue
advertisement