Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Success Stories?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I see all these horror stories regarding ACDF surgery. I am just wondering if there is any success stories out there that someone could share? 8>

I am set up to have surgery on October 29th and I have nothing but positive feelings on the surgery. However when I read all the pain that people are still in afterward it makes me wonder....I can't wait until I get the surgery performed so I can live my life without any pain.

A positive attitude is a big part of having surgery and a speedy recovery, if you are negative things will not go your way, bacause you are already head strong thinking it will fail.
My advice to anyone who is thinking about or having any kind of surgery is to "Think Positive" :D

Look forward to reading some "positive" surgery stories.

advertisement

Comments

• I would have to say that my ACDF surgeries were sucessful. My OS has told me that 'bone wise' I am probably healed, but neurologicaly I have a ways to go. My case was much more than a ACDF. There were other problems to be taken care of. Due to myelopathy I am still dealing with some issues, probably for the rest of my life, but I am not in the pain that I had before my surgery. I am not 100 per cent by no means nor will I ever be, but I am very glad that the surgery took place. The doctors told me it would be a tough recovery, they were right, but if you take it easy and follow there directions, things usually work out. Good luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

mark
  • Thanks Mark I appreciate you sharing. I will keep posting on here to let everyone know my success story!
  • advertisement
  • Hi and best of luck with your surgery. Like you I look forward to having anything done which will assist my condition and have a possitive outlook.
    As Paul and Mark point out there are success stories out there, glad you will keep in touch following your own procedure.
  • Yes I am sure there are many success stories. It is a shame that those stories never reach this forum. I would love to hear some of them. It may be inspiring to others to know there is life after ACDF procedure!
  • Hi. :H My pain started only 5 months ago (seems like ages, though), but has steadily increased to where I have to take pain pills every day just to function. On Oct. 21, I'm scheduled for 3 lvl ACDF C4-5 C5-6 C6-7. I am alternately nervous and excited. :SS :))) I think it helps to have a little bit of time to prepare mentally and honestly, the longer the pain, the more I can't wait to get the ball rolling. I figure if I can just wake up after surgery, that's half the battle.

I agree that you have to stay as positive as you can and I'm there with you. GOOD LUCK on your upcoming surgery. I plan on mine being a full success! <:P
  • advertisement
  • I definitely consider mine a success! Even though my recovery was slow and long, it was well worth the wait.

With a protrusion at C4-5, compressing my spinal cord to 50%, I had plenty of terrible symptoms from my neck to my hands to my legs. Just before the surgery I had gotten so bad that I had urinary urgency and hyperreflexia (when the NS tapped my left knee, my entire body bounced on the table...it was freaky weird). I couldn't move my neck at all, muscle atrophy had set it. Immediately after surgery I was in terrible pain, the urinary urgency was worse, by hands wouldn't stop trembling, my legs were in terrible pain, etc. I couldn't ride in the car without awful pain. But it was inflammation from the surgery...a lot of poking and proding going on in there....and just a slow path to recovery that the body needed to take There were times during my recovery I cried thinking that it was just so difficult; I didn't feel like I was getting better; I was discouraged and tired. But ultimately I'm too stubborn and persisted with the PT and exercises as directed. I am now more that 1 1/2 years post-op and I'd say I'm at 90 - 95% (depends on the day) and this is wonderful! I've posted twice in the Good News section.

Educate yourself, understand what path of healing/recovery is right (or not right) for you, and find a great doctor.

Take care!
  • I agree with you 150%!!! :) Mine scheduled 8 days after yours! I am like you I am so looking forward to this it is crazy. People ask "aren't you scared?" I am of course but who wouldn't be, I just want to live a pain free life. My pain has been with since agr 15 BUT it just really gotten really really intense in May of this year so we are similar in alot of ways.

• Do you get up some mornings and when the pain starts, you say, "Dang, I wish the surgery were next week."? :))( My friend, who has been through a few surgeries, said a really cool thing. He said that as you're wheeled into the operating room, you're understandably nervous, but then you quickly drift into sleep and the next thing you know, you open your eyes and it's over. I find that thought comforting. From then on, it's all up to me (with a little help from my husband and mom-in-law, of course). Yay! This is also an excellent excuse to hog the recliner and remote. =))
  • Dem- I hope that your surgery gives you pain relief. I have not had surgery but there are days where I wish I could. I am sure you are going to be in pain after the surgery from the actual surgery. That will take some to heal. But I've read experiences where several have come out of surgery with no symptoms previous at all. Headaches, arm pains, and tingling gone.

I wish you the best outcome, a speedy and successful outcome. Keep us updated.

Clarissa
  • I came home today after work to a voice mail that I was hoping not to get! My Ortho's office called to CANCEL the test I was to have on October 16th & 17th! I couldn't believe my ears. I called back to reschedule for the next week and they are already booked. My doctor performs these tests on Mon & Tues or Thurs & Fri. I had chosen Thurs & Fri so I could have have the weekend to recoop from the Myelogram & discogram. The nearest dates available is Oct 27th & 28th which is a Mon & Tues. Also, this is an over night hospital stay. Myelogram and Cervial discogram on one day spend the night then next day released to have the lumbar discogram. I also have to have someone drive me! Well that includes a family member! So, I had to make sure my sister which lives about 100 miles south of me has to change her schedule as well so she can be here with me.
    This is the second time he has cancelled on me the first time was 2 weeks ago for an appointment in his office.
    So, Now I am hoping (fingers crossed) that he will not cancel again, I am so looking forward to getting this done and I know that sounds crazy to some but I know you know how it feels.
    Since I have to have the test done on the 27th & 28th I can't have surgery until NOV 5th IF........the person scheduled would like to move to my old date of Sept 29th! You have to wait at least 6 days for the dye to exit your body from the myelogram to have surgery. If that person doesn't want to move their date to mine then I will be forced to NOV 12th date!!!
    I just got all the dates worked out with mty job and we worked out who would take over my position on the dates I would be gone even down to asking that person not to take a vacation day!! I now have to go in tomorrow and change the schedule! UGH!!!

BUT.......at this point ANY date is a good date!! I will look forward to it always!!
    Sorry so long I had to vent!! =))
advertisement