Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Getting Perm SCS 11/03/08

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Pain Management
Hey all!

After months of waiting, I finally got approved for my permanent spinal cord stimulator! I had a great response to the trial and Im very excited and nervous about the surgery. Did anyone have bad pain post-op? Also, what meds did you take post-op? I am currently on alot of meds for CRPS and I didnt know if I should ask for something more for the pain.

Thanks for reading,
Shannon
advertisement

Comments

• I do not have one of these, but did want to say congrats and good luck!
  • Welcome Shannon!

That is great news! The after surgery pain depends on the type of SCS implant they will be doing. What type of SCS are you getting and at what vertebrae level will the implant be done? Are you getting paddle or conventional Leeds? Does he plan to turn SCS on right away?

Your surgeon will be able to give you a better clue for after surgery pain. I wouldn't worry about it too much because you will be in the hospital at least overnight and they can make you comfortable. I'm sorry I can't give you a better idea as my SCS implant was a more extensive surgery. I would prepare your living conditions to help you with the no BLT and hands above the head recuperation time.

I am so glad that the trial was a good experience for you. One step closer to a better quality of life. Please keep us posted.

Take care of you,
    O-
  • advertisement
  • I have a cervical SCS with two percutaneous leads and I was able to manage post op on Tylenol and Celebrex.

My normal meds at the time which I continued to take were
    Gabapentin
    Carbamazepine
    Baclofen

When I had the surgery, I showed up early morning and was out and walking back to the lodge shortly after lunch. The rep met me after the took me from recovery and he switched on and programmed the IPG.

"C"
  • haglandc said:
    I have a cervical SCS with two percutaneous leads and I was able to manage post op on Tylenol and Celebrex.

My normal meds at the time which I continued to take were
    Gabapentin
    Carbamazepine
    Baclofen

When I had the surgery, I showed up early morning and was out and walking back to the lodge shortly after lunch. The rep met me after the took me from recovery and he switched on and programmed the IPG.

"C"
    was walking around DC with me and another friend days after....and we did alot of sightseeing and walking too.

Congrats Shannon on the approval , I am sending well wishes your way , please keep us posted as to how you are doing. If there is anything that I can ever do for you then please just let me know. The best of luck to you....take care....Miki
  • It was Sunday that we met up and the surgery had been on Thursday. I think the insanity of you, Jessi and the Purple People Eater distracted me from the pain in my .....

"C"
  • advertisement
  • haglandc said:
    It was Sunday that we met up and the surgery had been on Thursday. I think the insanity of you, Jessi and the Purple People Eater distracted me from the pain in my .....

"C"
    You meant to say , the pain in your butt , right? Wait a sec , are you calling me insane? I might be offended , well , not really , I think you might be right....I may just be a little Krazy!!!! =))

See Shannon , we were sightseeing not even a full 4 days after C's surgery and she really did do great...I wish the very same for you sweetie....Miki
  • Part of the recovery will depend on what type of leads you have placed. If you have percutaneous leads placed, the permanent surgery is similar to the trial placement. The paddle lead requires a laminotomy or laminectomy to place, so the post-op recovery period reflects the more invasive surgery.
  • Does anyone know how the doctor determines which type of lead to use: percutaneous or laminectomy. As I was researching the SCS online, I ran across a conversation between 3 or 4 PM docs. The one who did the most stimulators (or was the most pro-stimulator) said he ONLY used the laminectomy leads. I found this interesting but not really meaningful. Any thoughts? BW?
  • I think I would reconsider the doctor that would only do one lead or the other, arbitrarily. There are pros and cons to each type of lead that really depend on the individual patient's situation.

On the "pro" side of the percutaneous leads, they require a less invasive procedure to place and they offer excellent coverage for people with pain concentrated in their limbs. On the "con" side, they're more prone to migration and they offer less efficient coverage for trunk-oriented pain.

On the "pro" side of the surgical (paddle/laminectomy) leads, they offer a greater depth of coverage while using less power to accomplish it; they're a good choice for people with trunk and limb pain because they cover both areas equally well, without requiring extensive recharging times. They're also anchored differently and not as prone to lead migration, so they're a good choice for very active people.

I think if I were a person with RSD of one or two limbs and my doctor subjected me to a surgical lead "just because," I would be extremely upset. The percutaneous leads would offer perfectly adequate coverage for most people in that situation, without the risk of the more invasive surgery causing the RSD to spread to other areas.

As a person with FBSS, chronic low back, hip, and bilateral leg and foot pain, I would have been equally mortified if my doctor had chosen percutaneous leads, because I would have required multiple stimulators to cover all of my pain.

I think it really does depend on the individual patient, the cause of their pain, their pain pattern, their activity level, and whether or not their overall health makes them a good or poor surgical candidate to begin with.

• Hey all,

Im getting ready for my perm surgery on Monday at 10:45am! Im very nervous but Im also excited for the end result.

I will keep everyone posted!

Shan
advertisement