Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

post-surgery scar tissue

advertisement

Comments

• I have been told that a SCS would be the answer. BUT I am allergic to metal and plastic. I'm not sure I want to change one problem for another. My PM said he did't think I was a good candidate.
  • Normie_rad,
    What exactly is CSC??

csp
  • advertisement
  • Zach,
    My first surgery wound up better than this last one. It took 6 months to feel better, but I finally did. This is my second surg., and it's been over 6 months, and I feel worse than before this surgery. I'm so limited, everything I do affects the nerve pain...any movement at all.

I'm going to look up duragen patch and see if I can find anything out. Did your doctor say how many good outcomes he's had from doing this? If it works so well, I wonder why doctors don't just do this right off the bat.

csp
  • Zach,
    When is your surgery supposed to be? If you go through with it, I will be curious to see how well this procedure works.

After my second surgery, I gradually started getting relief. It was slow going, but it was getting better. Then, all of a sudden, my leg started hurting more. I thought it was just a bad day. But it didn't let up. I was getting better for 4 months after surgery. Then, the pain started and hasn't left for 2 months. (I'm not on any meds right now.)

I had 2 MRI's after surgery. One right after, because I still had pain for a good 3 weeks post-surg. Then, again, after 5 months. The only thing that showed up was scar tissue after 5 months. And what a coincidence - it was right on the S1 nerve root - exactly where the pain dermatome (?) is. I am getting a second opinion of my MRI on Dec. 8th. I want to know if it's definitely just scar tissue causing the pain. I also want to know if a "nerve wrap" is the answer. That's what my surgeon said he would do if I still have pain in June. I'm nervous about another surgery as well... not the surgery itself, but like you, the recovery (or lack of).

Don't you just love it when your surgeon says, "Your MRI looks great!" I just want to punch him!! (Not really, but it's almost as if they're saying you're lying.)

csp
  • Zach,
    If your doctor says you could have permanent nerve damage, I would opt for the surgery. (That's just me.) My doctor never gave me orders for after surgery... that's what bothered me. I had to go by what I did after my first surgery and learn more online. I did my regular P.T. exercises, plus I found stretches especially for preventing scar tissue. Did it work? Obviously not. But I keep doing them just in case there's still hope. (I also pray to God a lot about my recovery.)

Your doctor seems to give you a lot of information. This would be helpful if my doc did the same thing. I did not go by what he told me after surgery. He said to just go back to doing whatever it was I was doing before. He said that if I was going to rupture another disc, it would happen no matter what I did. I didn't believe him, and I was very careful. I still have pain.

The two surgeries I had were a microscopic laminectomy and a laminectomy. Both were on L5-S1. My S1 nerve root is being bothered right now. Like I said, I was almost pain free up until 4 months after surgery. Then the pain started all over. I did everything right - I think. I was very careful. That's why this is so upsetting.

I didn't know an MRI or CT would show that a nerve is actually inflamed. Does the nerve look bigger or something? Does scar tissue show up on the nerve? My MRI said that there was "an abnormal signal on the S1 nerve root." Those were the exact words. But my doc said it looked great! (Confusing). The MRI also said that it was epidural fibrosis, which is of course, scar tissue. I was hoping for a ruptured disc so it could be "fixed."

Oh yeah... the heating pad made my pain worse when I tried it. I don't use meds because I want to know exactly what my pain is and not be thinking it's getting better when it's not. Weird, I know.

What's the dura mater of the nerve? Is that the outer coating or something? Or is it a ligament?? Who's your doctor? Where's he from? He's given you so much info. I hope everything turns out well for you.

csp
  • advertisement
  • Zach,
    If you ask your doctor, maybe he would let you give his name out. I live in Michigan, so if he's out of state for me, I wouldn't be able to see him anyway. I have a hard time trusting any doctors at this point. It seems like they're all in a hurry and just want you out the door. I need a doctor who's willing to explain things to me so I know whether or not to go ahead with another surgery or not. I would like someone I can trust with an honest answer... not a doctor who is worried about getting sued, or just wants to move on to the next patient.

Your back sounds worse than mine. I've not had a swollen nerve ever show up on an MRI. I'm glad you have someone you can trust - a friend. At least you know he will do what's best for YOU. For me, I feel like I should get about 100 opinions from various doctors to be sure I make the right decision. I'm almost afraid that this is as good as it's going to get. If I have another surgery, I could get more scarring. Of course, we all could.

It's scary that the fragment from your disc wasn't reported. I'm glad the doctors choose to look at the MRI rather than just read the report then. I just wonder if something was missed on my MRI. It says just scar tissue, but who knows.

Did you say you had a fusion also? Was that more painful than the laminectomy?

Hang in there. Sounds like you're on your way, with your doc and all.

csp
  • Wow! You have a lot going on. I'm glad you have a doctor friend who can be honest with you and help you through this. Scar tissue taking 6 hours surprises me, unless that also involves more. Two years is a long time to heal. I don't blame you for taking the route you've chosen. What is mis? You said that clearing scar tissue through "mis" is a long process. Is that because of the fusion?

Are you still able to work? Does your family help you out? Hopefully? I hope the scar tissue removal is successful for you if you decide to have it done. Do you know of anyone else who's ever had this scar tissue problem? It seems that doctors all disagree on the severity of the pain scarring can cause. Some say it's just a myth. Others say it can cause all kinds of problems. Who do ya believe? There sure is a lot to a person's back I guess.

What would happen if you took the whole 2 years off? To me, that would be better, although I couldn't afford to do it unless I quit my job. That's the part that's hard - trying to work through all this pain.

Back to work. Have a good night.

csp
  • Has anyone had problems with their bowel after the surgery?
    Everytime I move my bowels I lose the use of my right leg. I went to a Proctologist who couldn't see anything wrong with my bowel. She thought the only solution may be a bag. Forget that one.

Have you ever met anyone who thinks being constipated is a good thing.
  • Zach,Do you know of the success rate of removing scar tissue? Do you know of anyone else who's had theirs removed? Did you say that you would get an injection while having surgery in order to avoid getting more scar tissue? How does this work? What date is your surgery? Have you made a decision as to whether or not you're actually going through it or not?

Sorry so many questions... just curious. You're the first person I know that's had similar issues as me.

csp
  • normie,
    I did not have stomach issues after surgery. But I would think that that would have to do with the procedure you had done and what disc level. I know some herniated discs can cause problems with bowels/bladder function. If you haven't already, I would get an MRI. A lot of times, when someone with a disc herniation goes to the bathroom, it can make leg pain worse.

csp
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.