Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

PUT OFF

stockbrokersstockbroker Posts: 464
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Pain Management
LET ME BEGIN BY SAYING THAT I HAD A TOTALLY HORRIBLE PAIN DAY YESTERDAY. I HADN'T DONE ANYTHING STRENUOUS OR UNUSUAL THE DAY BEFORE; THE WEATHER WAS NICE. I HAD A HORRIBLE, HORRIIBLE DAY. SEVERAL TIMES, I WENT INTO ONE OF THE STALLS OF THE LADIES ROOM AND CRIED. I WENT HOME SHORTLY AFTER 1PM. I TOOK MY USUAL PAIN MEDICATION AND IT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ANY EFFECT AT ALL. I'M SURE YOU ALL HAVE HAD DAYS JUST LIKE THIS ONE AND KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. ON MY DRIVE HOME, I THOUGHTI WOULD CALL THE NEUROSURGEON'S OFFICE AGAIN. THEY ARE SUPPOSEDLY RUNNING THE SHOW, BUT A DIFFERENT PM DOC IS GOING TO DO THE TRIAL (I'M REFERRING TO MY MUCH ANTICIPATED SCS.)I HAD MY PSYCH EVAL THREE WEEKS AGO AND SO FAR THAT'S WHERE I STAND. THE NS HAD NOT FAXXED THE PSYCH REPORT TO THE PM SO THEY CAN CALL MY INSURANCE CO. AND THE NEUROSURGEON'S OFFICE NOW TELLS ME THAT THEY'VE GOTTEN A LOT OF CALLS RECENTLY SO THE DOCTOR IS NOW SCHEDULING SURGERIES OUT INTO FEBRUARY. I KINDA LOST IT. I REMINDED HER HOW I WANTED TO HAVE THIS ALL DONE THIS YEAR AND WAS TOLD THAT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM. (REMEMBER I'M HAVEING A HORRIBLE PAIN DAY AND ALL I CAN THINK OF IS HAVING EVERY DAY EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE ALL THE WAY UNTIL FEBRUARY.) THE PM ALSO DOES THE PERMANENT IMPLANT BUT I HAD ALWAYS THOUGHT, FROM DAY 1, THAT I WANTED TO HAVE A SURGEON DO THE ACTUAL SURGERY. I AM SO PUT OFF BY BEING PUT OFF. IF I TRY TO FIND A DIFFERENT DOC NOW, I MAY END UP HAVING TO WAIT UNTIL APRIL. DO I LET THE PM DO IT? SHOULD I JUST WAIT? AND SINCE NOTHING IS HAPPENING, FEBRUARY MIGHT BE OPTIMISTIC? JUST TO ADD TO MY MISERY, TODAY ISN'T FEELING ANY BETTER THAN YESTERDAY.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. When you are feeling so much pain it is very hard to be a patient patient. I had to wait over six months to get my trial going (for the scs). We were having insurance issues. I just kept thinking about how great it was going to be when I got that scs... We finally got the green light and got the ball rolling in March and I'm now the proud recipient of a scs! My PAIN DOCTOR did the surgeries for me, from trial to permanent implant and follow up since then. These doctors are trained to do this procedure (well I guess maybe not all of them are). Maybe to give yourself peace of mind, ask him how many of these procedures he has done, what the success rate has been and maybe if there is a patient that would be willing to talk to you about the procedure. I told my doctor that if he ever needed to give my name to a patient to talk about my experience, that I wouldn't mind. I am very pleased with my implant and I;m so glad I got it when I did. If there is a way for you to get it now, I would GO FOR IT!!!
    Hope this helps a bit. Have a better day!
  • I'm really sorry that you had such a horrible day. Those are "reality days", where we realize just exactly the reality of our lives with our conditions left untreated.

Can you call back tomorrow when you feel better and talk to them and get a clearer picture on things?

My PM doc did the surgery and I never doubted his ability for an instance!

Terrie is right, why not ask questions about how many the doc has done and what success stories and what not so wonderful stories.

I hope that you don't have to wait until next year before you can have a trial.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • advertisement
  • Stockbroker,

Your post has me in tears. I had my trial before Labor Day. Had 50% reduction in pain. The doctor who did the trial didn't want to do the permanent unless I had 80%. I was suppose to be referred to a surgeon who specializes in cervical implants. I am still waiting. I used to call every week. I got so frustrated with the entire process...I gave up. When I started this process I was so optimistic. My insurance had approved everything. So much time has past that I would probably have to do everything all over again. At this point in my life, I wouldn't pass the psych evaluation because I am so depressed. I have also allowed "fear" into my thoughts. I have read good and bad stories. I certainly don't want to be worse off than I am. Maybe next year I will try this process again.
  • I'm bummed. I was wondering what the latest status was for you. Don't give up! Hey 50% reduction is a blessing to someone in pain! Why doesn't that doc understand that? Did you tell him you'd take 50% any day?

Bummer ... hang in there and stay focused!

"C"
  • An SCS trial is considered successful if it reduces pain 50 to 60% and up. If it's lower, then they won't proceed with surgery. That's what I've been told. And they hope to reduce or eliminate a need for oral medications. It's not uncommon to have someone with an SCS who still has to take something for breakthru pain.
    Success is measured differently when it comes to back surgery. I read online that the procedure is technically successful, and elimination of pain is a consideration, and is not expected to completely go away in all patients. Everyone is different. My surgeon told me last year that back surgery is to relieve pressure on a nerve, not to eliminate the back pain. And also that I will always have back pain. They hope that it would be in the 1-3 range. But a lot of us are in the 7-10 range with or without medications. The hope is that the meds will bring it down to 0 to 4 range. This is solely my observation and opinion.

I think it worth 75,000 dollars for a 50% reduction in pain. No amount of money is too much when seeking to improve quality of life.
  • advertisement
  • KCROC: YOUR STORY WAS SO TRAGIC IT MADE ME FEEL LIKE A LITTLE BABY FOR WHINING. HERE'S WHERE THINGS STAND NOW. YESTERDAY, I CALLED THE PMS OFFICE AND ASKED ME TO SEND ME A RELEASE FORM WHICH FILLED OUT TODAY AND FAXXED TO THE NEURO'S OFFICE. I MADE A LITTLE NOTE ABOUT GETTING THE BALL ROLLING AND THAT SURELY THERE WOULD BE THE CHANCE OF A CANCELLATION BEFORE FEB. I KNOW IF I WERE TO TRY TO FIND ANOTHER SURGEON IT COULD TAKE FOREVER. PLUS, THERE REALLY IS THE CHANCE OF A CANCELLATION. I ALSO PLAN TO TALK TO THE PM ABOUT HIS DOING THE SURGERY BUT THIS WOULD BE AWKWARD. I SENT THE REQUEST OF INFORMATION TODAY. THEY HAVE TO SEND THAT INFO OVER THERE. I HAD ALWAYS HAD A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THE PEOPLE IN THE OFFICE AND I HAD TOLD THEM THAT I WAS HAVING A BAD PAIN DAY. PEOPLE OFTEN END THEIR POSTS WITH QUOTATIONS. I'D LIKE TO FINISH MINE WITH A QUOTE FROM A WONDERFUL OLD FRIEND. I'VE RELIED ON THIS ADVICE MANY TIMES. READY? HERE IS COMES---"Y'KNOW, SUE, SOME TIMES YA JUST GOTTA DO IT DONJA"? THANK YOU, SUSAN.
  • stockbroker. Stay in their face and call every other day if you must. You know the saying " the squeaky wheel gets oiled first".
  • Hello Stockbroker,
    Many have the life of pain you describe and although we all understand your angst it is never easy dealing with this and trying to be rational at the same time, pain does that to us. Even experienced pain patients cry, inside, and we have mastered not to let it all out, we have all, as I have done say things in the heat of the moment through the pain that we should have not, even to our nearest and dearest.

It is frustrating and nobody would say it was not and as you said, saying one thing and doing another can differ, pain heightens those episode of disappointment, be they real or just in our heads and managing them more effectively helps us and those around us trying to help. I waited 18 months for my fusion and it was not easy waiting my life and career go down the pan, I am now stronger in what I have experienced. This is pain time which goes a lot slower that real time, day and night in most cases.

Many techniques are help for you to help yourself and we are all supporting each other with similar history to you and ongoing tribulations. Be kind to yourself and take care.

John.
  • JOHN, YOU MENTION THE WORK THING AND FOR ME THAT'S HUGE. IT WAS IN THE FOREFRONT OF MY MIND WHEN I HEARD THE "FEBRUARY". I AM CERTAINLY NOT KEEPING UP AT THE OFFICE. I MISS AT LEAST ONE DAY A WEEK. TWO NIGHTS A WEEK I CAN'T SLEEP AND I DO A LOUSY JOB THE NEXT DAY. MY COMPANY HAS BEEN BOUGHT-OUT TWICE THIS YEAR AND I WAS HOPING THIS STIMULATOR WOULD GET ME TO A PLACE WHERE MY WORK HABITS WOULD BE MORE CONSISTENT. BEHIND THE PAIN, THERE'S A LOT OF FEAR. WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO MUSTER UP THE SKILLS TO COPE AND SUCCEED WHEN WE CAN'T SLEEP? WHAT DO I SAY TO MY NEW MANAGERS? MY HUSBAND IS KIND AND SWEET AND CARING BUT I KNOW HE'S SICK OF WAITING ON ME AND I THINK HE SOMETIMES JUST THINKS I'M BEING LAZY. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GETTING HELP NOW AND GETTING HELP IN SIX MONTHS SEEMS HUGE.
  • I know where you're coming from; I always feel like a burden to my husband and he has to do things I can't. You're not lazy, you certainly did not ask for this to happen to you. Unfortunately this is the card we were dealt with, and we, and our family and friends, just have to adjust. It's not easy for anyone, but don't blame yourself. I get down on myself a lot and feel like a loser with no life.
    Hang in there >:D< >:D<
advertisement