Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Who to see for cortison shots in neck?

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 337
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Good evening. Hope you all ate lots of candy tonight. My MRI shows lots of stenosis, osteophytes, and bulging disc at C4-5, with nerve root impingment. Lately my right neck and upper shoulder are causing me a great deal of pain. PT and deep tissue massage hasn't helped. Do I go back to the neuro-surgeon who did my C5-6 fusion, or to a regular neurologist? Who is best suited to do shots, or do they do shots in the neck for these problems, since I already have one fusion? It's getting to the point where the pain runs 8-10 all the time. I can't afford to take time off from work for another surgery, and can't afford it either. Just want to make 4 years and 8 months until I retire. Then they can chop me up again. If I live that long! :))( Or anybody have any other suggestions? Pain clinic out, live 300 miles away from nearest one. Thanks for any help.



  • Maggie,

    Have you seen your regular doc or anyone for this yet? Which doc is responsible for the medications you are taking? How long has it been since you had your fusion? If it hasn't been too long, then the NS may take a look and give you a referral to a pain management doc/clinic.

    Sorry to have more questions than answers, but more information makes answering your questions a lot easier.

  • My PCP sent me for the MRI's, as we were investigating MS. Which thank the Lord I don't have. He perscribes my meds, including pain med Tramadol. I had my fusion in 2007, in June. So it's been a little over a year. My PCP referred me to a pain clinic, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, and they wanted $750 up front just for the psyc eval. I don't have that kind of money. I usually feel better in the warmer weather of summer, but now going into winter, rain, cold and snow, my pain levels will escalate considerably. My PT got me a Tens unit, and said if ins didn't cover it they would take it back. They won't cover it, so I'm waiting for them to call me to return it. As you can tell, I have crappy insurance. It's amazing when I put it on, that one side of the neck barely feels the electricity, while the other side is jumping :))( But it doesn't seem to block the pain much anyway. For sure not enough for me to pay the $750. it cost on my insurance statement. My original question still stands, Who gives these shots? Neuro-surgeon or neuro? Thanks for you reply.

  • advertisement
  • Sorry that your insurance leaves so much to be desired.

    As to your original question, there are several different types of "shots" that are given in regards to pain generated from spinal issues. The ones for longer lasting pain relief (ESI's and facet blocks) are typically all done in a Pain Clinic setting.

    Neurosurgery clinics and Neurology clinics aren't typically set up to do any of this sort of treatment. Simple diagnostic nerve blocks and Botox is about all they will perform.

Sign In or Register to comment.