Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg Weakness

JoyJJoy Posts: 559
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all! Just curious. I'm 4 months post-op fusion. In the last day or so I've noticed weakness in one leg...no pain, just feels tired. Any ideas? No, I've not overdone in the past few days. lol
advertisement

Comments

• You know I haven't had surgery but all I can say is have you had your follow up with the surgeon? Maybe a call to him? Or even your family Dr? Hope you're not overdoing it too. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had my follow up visit with the surgeon on 10/20, but I wasn't having this problem then. Perhaps all the rain we're getting now has something to do with it? Who knows? If it doesn't improve in the next couple of days (or gets worse), I will call the dr. Really don't think I've overdone it lately. lol I'm sure sitting at the Rally on Saturday for 5 hours didn't help anything!

When is your surgery?
  • advertisement
  • Hi Joy, I had surgery in mid-June, and yes - leg fatigue (BOTH LEGS) and weakness is one of my most prevalent symptoms. It's a miserable feeling - one that my NS has told me mirrors the symptoms of spinal stenosis when one is still healing. In my case, the sensation feels somewhat like the malaise that one gets with the flu - not fun at all, because it makes everything else from the beltline upwards feel just as badly.

The low back area where I had my 3-level is STILL sore, so I believe this. I have good and bad days with the leg weakness, varies considerably. I wish you well.

Mike
  • I'm not really having pain in the area where I had my surgery, and no leg pain. But...my SI joints hurt terribly (at least I think it is SI). I hurt on each side of my back about 4 inches down from my waistline. Getting out of bed is horrible! After I walk a while, it eases off.

Did the doc say how long this leg weakness would last?
  • Hi Joy, unfortunately, he did not say....and I was afraid to ask! :?
  • advertisement
  • I am just over 3 months post fusion and have some days when my legs - especially the left one - feel a bit weak and wobbly. No clue why although they did seem worse after I spent 2 5-hour days in the car. And no leg pain although the muscles in the front of my left thigh get very tight after about 15 minutes of walking - that is new in the last 2 weeks! Probably most problematic is that the muscles that run up and down on either side of my spine and my abs get really sore - may be related to new exercises in PT!

I know you know this but you might want to check with your doctor (or do you have a good PT that you are working with?) about the weakness if it continues!
  • I'm not in PT...my doc does not prescribe it. I guess he wants me fully fused before anything like that. It just seems that all of a sudden I have this weakness thing...thank God there is no pain. Just feels like it might give way. I'll have to call the doc's office tomorrow and find out what's going on.
  • Let us know what your doc says!
  • Spoke with my PA today about the leg weakness. She said that if the weakness gets worse where I cannot walk, they need to see me. Otherwise, they don't see a problem.

Since I'm having a lot of really low back pain, I asked about Ibuprofen and was told absolutely I could not take them yet. So...back to the heating pad!
  • So glad you checked with the doctor - I hope it helped alleviate your concerns a little. For me, one of the hard parts of this recovery is knowing what is normal and what is a sign that something is wrong. (Sometimes I wonder if I am becoming a hypochondriac.)

There are days I would so love to be able to take ibuprofen - especially when I am sore after PT. I got up in the middle of the night last night and heated up my microwave heat pack for my sore and achy legs thinking longingly of how much just one or two ibuprofen would help!
advertisement