Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Shoulder Problems after Cervical Surgery

advertisement

Comments

• What is blunting? I have alot of pain but mine was ACDF. So I cannot for the life of figure out why my back muscles hurt so bad since I was laying on my back but did have a 5 lb weight on my head. Does anyone think that would have something to do with it? Maybe having my head held back in that position for the surgery. Mine was really quick in and and out it was just very typical. LJ I'm not guarding my neck. Since I didn't have a collar I can't even blame it on that. Does anyone out there know and can tell me what muscle gets moved during surgery other than the long muscle in the front of your neck?
  • I have no clue what blunting means. I got a copy of my MRI report and that was what it reads, indicates a possible tear. From what the shoulder surgeon tells me, surgery on the shoulder is the last thing your want to do. The recoup time is very very long. He ask me about any injuries, which there are none. After my surgery I was very careful and in no way injured my shoulder. That is why I believe it has something to do with the position during neck surgery. The posterior position is horrible and to be in that position for 6 hours, who knows. It's not like the hospital or the staff are going to tell you anything. Again, these are just my thoughts. I never had problems with my shoulder before surgery.

Sharon
  • advertisement
  • I have an appointment with my doc today to actually talk about the results of my lower back MRI results. Everybody say a prayer for me. I want to hear that he found nothing there and it must have something to do with my cervical surgery. I just hope it's all the pressure from my neck. But while I'm there I want to talk to him about all of the shoulder pain. He did forewarn me but I really thought or hoped at least it would be gone by now. It's the only reason I continue to take medication and I don't want swallow not one more pill. I may print out our very long post here and take it with me. Maybe he has an answer for us all. I just want to wake up one morning with NO pain. Just one is all I'm asking for.
  • Kathal,
    I am surprised you went back to work after 3 weeks. Our company uses a "medical management group" to make recommendations on disability. They told me the average DB for one level ACDF is 58 days and for three levels is 90 days, so 3 weeks was really early and not fair to you. I'm glad you like your new PT and hope it continues to work well for you. I just got home from PT (which is always the best time and least painful for me to be on the computer).
    LJ
  • Tonya,
    I am so sorry you are still having pain problems. Hearing stuff like this is one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to return to work. I still have a lot of pain and I am afraid what sitting in front of a computer all day will do to me. I work on a computer all day or I am traveling for work (either one is not a lot of fun with neck and shoulder pain). I'm hoping if I manage to stay out the rest of the month that the PT will start kicking in. I can just see this shoulder thing becoming cronic and I really hope it does not.
    LJ
    tonya42 said:
    I went back after 7 weeks and I'm afraid I'm paying the price for it. I work in IT so I sit in front of the computer most of the day but I do lots of walking too to fix other people's computers. But when I get home oh how I just want my pain pill, recliner and heating pad. I took 2 weeks of vacation right after my surgery which was really only 2 days since I have been working from home through all of this. We I think are the fortunate few. I was in the same situation as you. I've been with this company for 8 years and have 220 hrs of vacation time. So it came down to use it for lose it. But this is no way to spend a vacation.
  • advertisement
  • Hi MD,
    I have used a bone stimulator since a few days after my surgery. At about 6 weeks fusion was just barely beginning at two of the three levels with grafts. I never wore a collar (my doctor is one of those that does not believe in collars). I am due back at the doctor the first week of Jan and very interested in knowing how my fusion has progressed. I hope the bone stimulator helps you. Seems like a long time for the bones not to be fusing. However I don't see how the non fusion could be responsible for the shoulder pain. I started out with pain in the right shoulder and recently started having pain in the left as well. The PT always says I have a lot of inflammation.
    LJ
    morningdew said:
    I had my surgery in June and all my back pain was fixed! But after a few months doing PT and all that, my right shoulder blade, like under the shoulder blade keeps getting knots in it and it like zings up to my neck. got x-rays and a mri again to see whats going on, they said its because the bones aren't fusing or growing.... doc ordered a bone stimulator and told me to put the soft collar back on :( so here i am again *sighs* But i still cant help but think there is something else going on, so when i go back in Jan. and the bones are growing back and if i still have shoulder pain..yea i will still be upset! Curious if anyone has gone through this yet or if it ever goes away.
  • Shar,
    I am glad your shoulder is feeling better and I also hope it continues to feel good for you. I really wonder if position has something to do with the shoulder pain both anterior and posterior. I just wish there was some medical research on this topic but I haven't been able to find any so I guess we are making our own.
    LJ
  • The guarding idea comes from my PT and she said it happens before surgery when we have neck pain. Seems weird to me that something that causes no pain before surgery, would cause pain after.
    LJ
  • Hi Tonya,
    It would be great if your doctor has some idea what causes the shoulder pain. I hope you have a good appointment today. I'm with you on wanting to wake up one day without pain but I want a lot more then one day. :D
    LJ
    tonya42 said:
    I have an appointment with my doc today to actually talk about the results of my lower back MRI results. Everybody say a prayer for me. I want to hear that he found nothing there and it must have something to do with my cervical surgery. I just hope it's all the pressure from my neck. But while I'm there I want to talk to him about all of the shoulder pain. He did forewarn me but I really thought or hoped at least it would be gone by now. It's the only reason I continue to take medication and I don't want swallow not one more pill. I may print out our very long post here and take it with me. Maybe he has an answer for us all. I just want to wake up one morning with NO pain. Just one is all I'm asking for.
  • My back is fine. That's the good news. :D The bad news. He still can't won't or doesn't want to tell me why my shoulders hurt. He did warn me before surgery that it would happpen so it's not that I didn't expect it. I just didn't expect it to last this long. He just offered to refill my prescriptions and off I went still scratching my head. I thought about printing this thread out and mailing it to him just to see what he REALLY thinks. He did say it was from the muscles being moved around but I still can't help but wonder if it is something else.
advertisement