Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My doc won't prescribe...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Chronic Pain
My doc gave me Vicodine when my back started this long descent into Hades. One pill every eight hours. At first it worked for four hours. Now, five weeks later, I take two of the suckers and get nothing. He won't change the meds.

Local background: Last year quite a few pain management clinics were busted and closed for too many drugs hitting the streets. Lots of docs in the area quit writing prescriptions for Xanex, Soma, etc...cold turkey. No scripts. Doesn't matter why you may need the medications.

So, shopping for a new doc is not likely to improve the situation. Any advice?
advertisement

Comments

• If what you say is true, you have answered your own question and there is absolutely nothing you can do. That doesn't really strike me as reasonable, though. Are you sure these are the circumstances or is this just a rumor? Have you talked to your primary? Welcome to S-H. Susan
  • The story hit all the papers here. Plus, my husband is a defense attorney, so he knew some friends who were appointed to represent defendants.
    The doctor is my primary care physician. The chiropractor won't prescribe any medications at all.
    I was hoping someone had some home remedies that have proven effective?
  • advertisement
  • To a pain managemnt doctor?
    Have the whole medical situation reviewed and monitored? It is not right you should be in pain.

Good Luck
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    doctors who will write out scripts for the correct reasons. There is no question there has been pressure put on doctors when it comes to prescribing narcotics. Any doctor who is comfortable with their practice and decisions and who fully understands a patients circumstance, narcotic pain medications should always be available
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • If you have xrays and MRIs that prove that you have issues of pain, you should still be able to get a doc to treat your pain properly. What type of issues do you have with your back? Have you tried all of the conservative treatments? PT, inhections and such?
  • advertisement
  • The MRI shows L5 S1 prolapse. Doc has seen the results as he is the one who ordered the test. He wants to send me to a doc with quit a rep for screwing up such things. I found my chiropractor on my own. He has tried some kind of machine that sends rounds of electricity to the area. I have no clue what it is called, bu it is done in his office.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    to allow chiropractors work on you back once you have definite and known disc problems. Working with the spine, the discs and the spinal cord is something that only completely qualified medical professionals should be doing.
    The norm, is that chiropractors are not trained to this degree, therefor should not be allow to work on spinal patients.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would either ask your doc to refer you to a pain management doc OR ask for an increase in the vicoden. However, if I were you I would ask for Norco instead. Norco has 325mg of tylenol instead of the 500 or 550 in vicoden but it is hydrocodone just as norco. Either he can increase the dose or increase the strength. the highest of the norco is 10/325.
    As far as the pain management it is sometimes hard to find the one that fits you. SOME wont give an RX on the first appointment either.
    I would ask your doctor about the above things mentioned at your next appointment. I really dont know what else to say regarding this subject. SORRY if I wasn't much help
  • Chiropractors go to as much school as doctors, just more anatomy-based than presciption-based. But as with doctors, there are very good ones and very bad ones and not much in between. Research is key. A good one will know not to adjust your spine in the area of injury and will offer many passive therapies to assist in management of pain. Doctors do not like chiropractors, and chiropractors do not like doctors, simple competition for a paycheck as well as approach to treating conditons. Generally, docs help with meds, chiropractors help more naturally. Each is trained highly in what they do, but again, not all are competent and knowledgeable.

I hope you find someone to treat your pain effectively. If you keep fighting, don't give up, and be resourceful, you will eventually get the pain relief you deserve!!!

Much love and understanding,
    Lisa
  • lisa i beg to differ to differ and to differ about chiro's. my personal belief is that they are one step up from quacks. i believe this due to several factors. one is that if you go to one they will always say your back is out of allignment. manipulation does nothing to help herniated discs or sciatic pain. in fact manipulation can cause more problems. this can put udue pressure on the nerve if done wrong. also they do not prescribe meds at all. maybe muscle pain can be helped by chiros but herniated discs can not be helped. just because they go to school does not mean they are qualified to work on herniated discs or stenosis or sciatica or other back problems. in fact exercise can or cannot help. i believe severe back problems need orthopedic help. the spine area is a sensitive area and only drs who are qualified to work here should. by the way not all orthopedic drs will do backs. a lot won't because of sensitive nature of back pain. when i had surgery, i had a dr put monitors all over me to check nerve impulses on my nerves. but a chiro only manipulates backs. i am sure there are people out there who swear by them but i believe maybe the pain was due to muscle pain. i guess chiros have their place, but i would never go to one. i went to one once and he almost ruined my back with the snapping and popping that goes on. never again. also i do not believe in holostic medicine. i had a friend who went to a holostic dr for pneumonia and almost died taking roots and teas. he had to finally go to hospital to get cured by a real dr

just my humble opinion
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.