Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain, Limitations, and Disability Rejection

advertisement

Comments

• You will have a better chance at winning if you get a lawyer and they only get paid once you win. However it may take around 3 years. You will get backpay from the disability date in question. It' a long road, but it will help you in case your condition doesn't improve.
    Do you have nerve pain going on? Medicines like Neurontin, Lyrica, or Cymbalta are helpful in conjunction with what you already take. I'm sorry you're having a lot of pain and I hope it gets better.
  • My PM doc who treated me the past couple years did treat for the pain and was compassionate I have to say, but just said a couple times that I shouldn't be hurting so bad for what I had...like it was puzzling. I think pain is often an issue that is puzzling b/c it can be so disabling and it does not show up on any test. I know the MRI's and diagnostics that we all have do not always show the source of pain. My family doc is now taking care of me and he is very wonderful...I believe he has had disc issues before so that helps.

I really think you should pursue the SSD issue...I'm not sure your wife's problems...but hopefully at least one of you, if not both will meet the appeal. I had no idea it took 2 years to appeal. Did your cousin get SSD first time around?? My husband mentioned to me the other day about disability b/c my surgeon has very limited duties for me and there is no way for me to be a nurse...and I don't know how long it will last, but with DDD and OA, well...oh well.

• advertisement
  • MEYDEY321 - That's the cool thing... I was recommended counsel from the state of Michigan. Somebody from the Department of Human Services called and recommended an attorney who specializes in SSD. So, I have that covered, already. Great guys, too! A lot better than the likes of Binder and Binder... :))( I do have a lot of nerve pain going on. That could very well be why the Norco and Morphine seems to help very little. I understand that medications like that don't touch nerve pain. I may talk to my NS about nerve pain medications.

TARHEELGIRL - My cousin actually had to go through the process for SIX YEARS before she was approved. Terrible! But, there's some good news, possibly. I contacted my State Rep, just after noon, today. At around 3:00, this afternoon, I received a call from his office. They are going to send Social Security an "Urgent Need" notice, saying that we can't wait for 2 years to be heard, due to our foreclosure. Seeing that we need a place to live, we are going to try to get in almost immediately. This only works for those who have received foreclosure or eviction notices. Since we have been foreclosed on, we should qualify. I am SO pleased with my Representative. This guy gets things done! I heard rumours that he may run for Governor in 2010 (he's yet to officially announce it, but I sure hope he does). If he does... he's got my vote!!! =D>

My wife used to do nursing, but with her issues (IBS), she could no longer do so. She doesn't have enough credits for SSD, or SSI, so it's entirely up to me. Her IBS is a more-on-than-off thing, for her... it's almost as if she has the stomach flu all of the time. Very unpleasant, for her. So, nursing IS a very demanding job, physically. If that's your passion, I really hope they are able to fix your neck to where you are able to pursue it!
  • It seems my body went to heck when I hit 30 too. As of yesterday I am now 31 <:P I feel like I am 80 though.
  • Dharvell, how could your wife not have enough credits for Social Security? I was approved in my late twenties and I did not have a long work history. Is there something else she can be eligible for, maybe long term disability from her nursing? I'm sorry to hear about her IBS.
  • advertisement
  • MING - Well, happy birthday to you!!! <:P <:P <:P Funny how it seems that we just start to fall apart at age 30, isn't it? Here's hoping that your medical team will help you get back to something as close to pain-free as you can get! <br />
    MEYDEY321 - That is a good question. My wife applied for disability when I did. As I received a rejection (they said I could work as a fast food worker... I can tell them that I can't, as I am always dropping things and there are days that my legs refuse to hold me... how can I flip burgers when my body is that out of whack???), my wife was rejected for, "Reason: not enough work credits". She has worked a lot of part-time jobs in her days, but apparently she didn't get enough credits. I don't know how they figure that, though. Another frustration in the system...
  • I too suffer from IBS in addition to the back issues so tell your wife, I understand how she feels. Mines the opposite though and I've done all kinds of tests and meds for that too. I even started one of those clinical trial things but wasn't able to do it because you have to be off your meds for 2 weeks before starting their trial and I had a lot of stomach issues. Thanks for the bday wishes. Yes, at 28, I was slam dancing with the best of them and singing in my husband's band. I've been saying that same thing as you though, my body has gone downhill since I hit 30. This has been the longest and most painful year of my life. I am sure that it can only get better from here though.

I have to apply for SSD as well because my 12 months of disability will be in Feb 09. I keep putting it off because I am hoping I will be back to work by then.
  • Awesome that your husband is in a band and that you would sing along with them! I do music, as well (Industrial music under the name [null factor]). The sad part is, I can't play live... I just do studio work and that's just as I can. Part of the neurological symptoms include this headache that settles behind my L eye. When that happens, the slightest noise just irritates me.

I really can't say that I know what people who go through IBS are going through, being a non-sufferer, myself. I do know that when I get the stomach bug, I am miserable... I turn into a baby! Having that everyday is beyond my worst nightmare! Wow... hang in there. It's GOT to get better!
  • Wow! that is awesome news! what an answer to prayer for you and your family on that State Rep calling SS for you! I hope they get it done quickly and it goes thru.

Sorry about your wife...right about now, I wish I had that issue come back (had it a little after gallbladder surgery a few years ago)...these meds are killing me, causing the opposite issue. ick!

Great to hear your news...
  • I hear you on the "opposite problem" thing. That is still not as bad as the neck issues, but it's bad in its own "special" way... ~X(

Yeah, hearing back from my Congressman in a 3-hour period was amazing news. To make the whole experience even more amazing is the face that I received the forms he promised... just a day after I spoke with him. This guy is a man of his word and he gets things done! I'm glad I voted for him, this time around! :)
advertisement