Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

JANUARY Upcoming Surgeries- Post Stories Here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
JANUARY Upcoming Surgeries- Post Stories Here

It looks like this was done the past couple of months, so I thought I'd start a thread for those of us going under the knife in January.

My two-level ALIF is coming up 1/7. I'm getting ready for surgery, trying to get a lot of chores crossed off my list so I don't have to worry about anything post-op, and trying not to stress about it with the holidays coming up.

It would be nice to hear what everyone else is doing for their upcoming surgeries.

Good Luck, everybody!

Paul

advertisement

Comments

• I'm a new member who just posted under the New Member section. I've got a single level PLIF on Jan. 5 which will be done by a neurosurgeon. I had my final visit with him yesterday along with my hospital pre-op, so now it's just playing the waiting game.
  • Helo fellow spiney's. I just joined S-H today, but have been lurking here for a few months. I have learned quite a bit from this site and from all the members who post here. Here is my story. In June of 07 I was diagnosed with grade II Spondylolisthesis at L4-L5 and DDD at L5-S1. I have tried all the less invasive treatments including Chiro, Accupuncture, PT, Epidural Injections, Nerve blocks, Radio Frequency. The nerve block is the only thing that has helped at all. I used to have pain in my right leg from the thigh to my ankle in addition to my right hip and low back, but since the nerve block the leg pain is mostly gone, the hip and back still give me a lot of trouble though. Recently my left leg started going numb while I sleep at night or any time I lay on my back. Currently I take 15mg of Oxycodone every 4 hrs. and 30mg of Oxycontin ER at bed time. I am scheduled to have a 1 or 2 level TLIF on 1/6. The neuro said he will decide when he opens me up if he thinks I shoud do 1 level or 2. I am very nervous but I can't live like this any more and look forward to getting my life back again.
  • advertisement
  • Single level anterior lumbar fusion L5-S1: interbody cage, BMP + cadaver bone, front plate and screws on January 20th.

Orthopedic surgeon thinks he can get all the disc matter in the back of the spine that is pressing on my nerve while going thru the front, but there is a risk he cannot. In meeting with him last Monday we discussed, and its actually a greater risk for him to go in posterior as he feels it could expedite degeneration in the levels above by doing so (I am told I do not have the spine of a 38 year old, and it was not a compliment).

This is my second surgery with this doc, I respect him and he is honest and upfront. I am optimistic that I will have a positive outcome. I am otherwise very healthy, and have recently lost the 16lbs I put on when I re-herniated, and I've been doing my pilates core-strengthening. I'm ready! :)))
    -Melissa
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • I'm getting nervous about the upcoming surgery. I worry whether there will be complications during the surgery itself, what the recovry will be like, and whether I'll feel "cured" when the fusion is complete. There are just so many unknowns. I've never had surgery before or gone under general anesthesia, so I'm just anxious about the unknown, I guess. I don't think there's any more research I can do on the procedure or any questions I haven't asked. So, I'm just trying to distract myself at this point and not dwell on it too much.
  • I am having a L4/L5 PLIF on January 2nd. I am new here and getting very nervous. I have 2 1/2 days to get my home straightened up and in order and 2 days to get my work ready to hand off to my co-workers. It is coming too fast and at the same time not fast enough as the winter is not playing nicely with my back.

I hope everyone going in for surgery soon has a speedy recovery.
  • advertisement
  • Hi all,
    I joined the forum about a month ago when I finally decided to see a NS for the constant pain in my neck (rear ended and pushed into another vehicle at a intersection in Sept of 2006) He informed me of the DDD and some bulging/herniations in my neck. Not sure the exact location until I go for the discogram sometime next week. Anyway Im a 35 year old mom of 3 and have had enough of living in pain. Did the chiro/pt/epidural route with NO help whatsoever. My surgery is sched for January 30th. All you guys are great and a much needed place to find great input and support! Ill keep you all posted.
    God Bless
    Lisa
  • I forgot to wish you all good luck and a speedy recovery!
  • a week from tomorrow for me...starting to get a little "butterfly effect" going
  • You can add me to the nervous group too... I am trying not to think about it too much. Lately my nerve pain seems unaffected by my meds, so I feel like surgery can't some soon enough; it takes so much of my energy to deal with the pain and do everything I need to do each day (esp. at work).

Endymion - definitely hear you on the fear of the unknown. I'm trying to distract myself too and yet I have the attention span of a gopher. ;)) You're close now, only 10 days away!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
    -Melissa
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • January 8th is my date, too. I had a L4-S1 TLIF in June 07. Still have not fused but BMP caused bone to grow on nerve roots causing return of leg pain postop(was initially leg pain free after surgery.) Have had surgery on one side to remove hardware and bone compressing nerve root(caused by that wonderful stuff BMP.) Now, having other side of hardware removed and bone from another nerve root removed(once again, gotta love that BMP.) Surgeon(NOT the one who did the original fusion surgery) will also explore the area to make sure everything else looks as good as it can get.

I will post an update when I have surgery. Anyone who had BMP used and then had spontaneous return of leg pain several weeks postop that continues even with decreasing activity needs to be aware that BMP can cause bone to grow on your nerve roots. Not just in me, there's been documented studies and the package insert for BMP from the FDA warns of the risk of this possible complication.
advertisement