Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What do you really miss?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Maintenance
Anyone that deals with chronic spinal pain know all about the 'things' in their lives they can no longer do or the 'changes' that had to be made to their lifestyle.

I often wonder about what is the most important 'thing' that we miss. When I first started to think about this, I was looking at the physical things (Golfing, Sking,Tennis,Softball,etc), but then I also started to realize that now that I am almost 58 that all of those things would have been tough on me even without any spinal problems.

This may sound stupid, but the four things I find that I miss everyday are:

1 - Being able to easily put socks on
2 - Being able to put my chin down to hold a pair of pants
3 - Getting out of bed and taking about a half hour before I can function
4 - Being able to put a belt completely around without help

Its strange, that sometimes its the simple things that we miss the most
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• I Miss sleeping all nite, I barely sleep due to my pain. I miss being able to exercise like i use to, and i especially miss being able to be more active and do more things with my kids.

I miss waking up with out having to take a bunch a pills so i can get out of bed, and move around.

Dawn
  • I miss not having to plan my day around pain. Know what I mean? Like, I know my husband has to work so therefore I have to drive myself to the grocery store so I can't take as many meds as I need. Like, thinking I'm not going to that store because it's too far to walk to get the milk. Like, knowing if I do a load of laundry I have to plan time to lay down. Like, arriving to school events for the kids way too early because I have to find a seat somewhere where I can stand up and sit as I need to but not be in anyone's way. When the heck did I become this person that has to plan my day around pills and my heating pad???

I just miss those days where I can do what I want without planning around my pain and physical limitations.

I miss wearing shoes. It hurts too much to wear shoes and socks on my right foot, so I limit it to only when I have to. I'm tired of wearing slip ons becuz I have a very difficult time putting on normal shoes. There's snow outside but I'm wearing slip on sandles becuz I'd rather be cold than have compression on my foot.

The biggest thing-I haven't been able to pick up my 4 year old daughter in 2 years. It's amazing what kids will adjust to, but I have a hard time adjusting to not picking her up when she falls down. When she was 2, she learned to climb into her car seat herself. I hate being 1/2 a mom.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    physical mom can be depressing at times, so to adjust to
    that by being a 2 1/2 times loving Mom, which I am sure I dont need to even say.

My kids knew about my physical situation early on. They are both grown now (30 and 34) and still worry about my physical situation, but we have always enjoyed bundles of love and that never took physical actions
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Not that I would have ever wanted this situation, but some good has come out of it. My daughter is so proud of herself that she can bend down and pick things up for me. She thinks she is such a big girl to be able to help me. She tells everyone what a helper she is and takes a lot of pride in doing things for me and for herself.

I have learned patience. Never had that before. I've learned to appreciate what I do have. I've slowed down and had more time to listen to my kids.

After I re-read my first post I realized it sounded kind of pathetic, so I wanted to add that even though I miss some things so much, I do have good things and joy in my life! :)
  • 1. Being able to look down and see if I have spilled something on my "shelf" (as my great aunt used to say)
    2. Like Ron, I miss being able to use my chin to hold things when I fold laundry
    3. Being able to hold the phone to my ear with my shoulder so I can write something down
    4. Being able to walk my dog
    5. Golf
    6. Rolling my head around whenever the heck I want to!

But, I feel very, very lucky because I will be able to do these things again one day in the not too distant future. My heart and hugs go out to you all that can only hope that will happen.

Happy Holidays and I hope your pain takes a vacation, if only for just a couple of hours. >:D<
  • advertisement
  • Being pain free
    Feeling young
    Sitting comfortably
    Shopping til I drop
    Travel
    Home decorating, my hobby
    The old me
  • I was the highest and longest leaper at my dance school. Running and then jumping into the air as high as I could, legs stretching out before and behind me, felt like soaring.
    Sitting "indian style".

One Love,

Stephanie
  • That's odd.indian style is the best position for me-at least until my feet get sore...but then my problems are cervical & when I sit indian style I can hold my back and neck really straight.

I miss dancing,running,swimming(and I can't use my left arm for swimming at all).

I miss waking up without pain & going to bed without pain.I miss knowing what it feels like to not have pain.

The one thing that I am getting better at though is waking up and trying to smile anyway.I no longer let the words "oh,my neck",or "oh this hurts" be the first words out of my mouth.Now,when I think them I catch myself and smile because I'm thinking 'I'm going to take a dang pill and zap this...and where is that coffee?' A cookie might be good with that... ;))
  • Carrying my 9 month old grandson everywhere we went.
  • Don't even get me started on the little ones,dang it woman( :''( ) that is just a given.

I miss the boys being little..I think I'll have the empty nest syndrome until grandbabies come along,but that had better not happen for a long time because my boys are NOT EVEN ready for parenting.

I'm scre**d :))(
advertisement