Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gabapentin

TurtleTTurtle Posts: 161
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone using this for pain? Or is it for nerve repair? My doctor gave it to me after I compained about spasms but it doens't seem to be used for that, but for seizures. Which I do not have. What gives?
(And if this post is not premitted let me know why. I wrote about this earlier in another post but it never showed up. Maybe I pressed a wrong buttom instead of submit, but if it happens again please tell me why so I try to pose my third request diffferently-I really want other peoples experience with it. Thx!)
advertisement

Comments

• I have an excuse from my doctor, lol!
  • But I am not quite certain that it is helping me yet.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    is medication to help with nerve pain. Normal pain medications may relief overall pain, but rarely addresses the pain associated with nerves.
    Gabapentin(Neurontin) is one type of medication to help with nerve pain. I've been using it for a while and it has helped a good deal. Started with 300mg a day and now up to 2000mg a day.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I only said I was still having spasms and had mentioned that to the surgeon at the time and he said, "oh yes, you would because we touched the never quite a bit due to the compression". Is this drug warranted with such a harmless observations on my part? It's not like I'm having seizures of pain-only spasms. It seems so strong. I can't call them again about it-I think I have worn out my welcome with these kind folks :) Thanks for the replies folks!
  • those drugs that has multiple uses. It is a medication that is used to control seizures but can also be used to treat nerve pain. I think in your instance it is more the nerve pain application rather than the seizures. Unless of course you are having seizures. I take it on a daily basis and I get quite a bit of relief from it.
  • advertisement
  • for the replies. I feel better about trying it now.
  • but found lyrica much more effective. If the gabapentin isn't working, maybe ask for lyrica?

I know a lot of folks have issues with swelling with lyrica, but I've never had any problems.

Another thing I like about lyrica is that you take much less of it than you do the neurontin for nerve pain relief.
  • The side effects scare me and with all I had to do around Christmas, and now New Years (I'm half Japanese and they do New Years like we do Christmas but for 3 days!) I can't afford to have the side effects. Then I start college back up on Jan 13,,,,I think I rather live with the twitchy nerve pain. At least it is just a burning and tinglging sensation and not the horrific muscle spasms that caused me to almost puke and pass out before the cervical operation :T

Anyone else felt better NOT take it?
  • I took Gabapentin/Neurontin for about five years, and it is one drug that didn't give me ANY side effects at all. It's been used for a long time, so is probably one of the safer drugs.

I was originally given it for nerve pain and to help with sleep; it didn't do a lot at the time for nerve pain, but did help with sleep. I just started it again a month or so ago, and this time it IS helping with the nerve issues, but my sleep is still very messed up. It has never helped with muscle spasms, though; I have a hard time finding something that does help, but I think the methotrexate I'm on is finally starting to manage them after many years of suffering!

I wouldn't hesitate to be on it myself, but that's just my opinion. Good luck, and hope you find some relief.

Tracy
  • I was started on Gabapentin 400mg 3x daily about 1 month ago along with an NSAID called Indomethacin 50mg 3x daily for severe nerve pain due to L5-S1 central disk protrusion and degenerative disk disease. I had tried physical therapy, spinal injections, tens unit and traction with no relief. The gabapentin and indomethacin has helped take the edge off the pain so that I can walk without tremendous pain for the first time in months. I was very skeptical about it in the beginning but it has helped, not completely without pain but much more manageable as long as I don't overdue things. I have had some side effects like problems with memory and balance at times. Hoping that will improve as time goes on once I get adjusted to the medication, will deal with that, rather than the severe pain. Some people really get bothered by it but for me it has helped and even improved my fibromyalgia and helps me to sleep better.
advertisement